35. guilt

Taking in every inch of her body, his hands encompassed her, and his mouth claimed her lips.

His fingers lingered in her hair as their lips moved in perfect harmony. His touch set her skin on fire as warmth flooded through her veins.

She felt alive in his embrace.

They were lost in each other, clutching each other so tightly, it hurt.

Their breaths were heavy, only pulling their lips away for a second to breathe. She could feel his heart beating, and it matched her own.

Katiya's fingernails dug into Aonung's skin, eliciting a low grunt from him.

He began to move his hand up her body, tracing the curves of her figure. He whispered her name over and over again, his lips brushing against her ear.

Her eyes were closed, listening to him desperately calling her name, their breaths mingling together as he gazed at her through hooded eyes.

Aonung felt her tug at the string on his hip, her fingers purposely grazing the bulge beneath his loincloth.

She moaned softly as he seized her lips again, their tongues entwined in a passionate embrace. His hands moved to her hips, tracing circles around her soft curves, a low growl of pleasure emanating from his throat.

Suddenly, a loud sound echoed within the cave as multiple splashes were made, forcing Katiya to break away from Aonung, her heart still pounding rapidly inside her chest.

"Are you guys okay?!" Neteyam asked, out of breath as he broke through the water surface on his ilu.

"We saw your ilus coming out of this cave and Loak spotted an akula swimming away from here," he continued, scanning Katiya and Aonung for any signs of injury.

"Did it chase you guys?" Kiri asked, hopping onto the cold stone floor.

Katiya quickly glanced at Aonung, the tips of his ears still red, and pulled Kiri into a hug in hopes of calming her heart down. "We're fine."

Aonung cleared his throat as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"Who won?" He asked, half-joking. He was still in the midst of the intimate moment he had just shared with Katiya, his heart still throbbing wildly, and blood still rushing in his ears.

"Neteyam did," Narini answered, a bright smile on her face. "This was the most fun I've had in a while."

Loak scoffed. "I still say it was a tie, but whatever."

"Come on, bro. Who's the mighty warrior?" Neteyam joked, repeating his favorite phrase just to tease his little brother.

Tsireya giggled, a hand over her mouth. "Let's head back. Eclipse is going to set soon."

Katiya let out a shaky breath as she tightened her grip around Kiri.

"Are you okay, sister?" Kiri asked, glancing at Katiya in concern.

She shook her head in response, unable to say anything as she laid her head on Kiri's shoulder. She met Aonung's gaze and a rush of emotions washed over her.

After what had just occurred between them, things would be different. Whether it would be good or bad, she didn't know.

And it was scary not knowing.

She was filled with a mixture of emotions, all of them hard to decipher and she could see it in his eyes too.

They just stared at each other, trying to figure out what the other was thinking, their minds still occupied with one another.