32. jealousy or infatuation

"So? What do you think of her, Aonung?" Ronal asked, discreetly eyeing her son.

Aonung looked at her as he put his knife down. "Who?"

"Your future mate, son. Who else?" She rolled her eyes, shaking her head in disbelief. "You have spent time with her, have you not?"

As he sharpened his knife, a smile slipped across his lips. From the day they left to help Payakan, Katiya still hadn't finished it.

"Yeah, I've been trying. She'll come around eventually," he said playfully.

"What?" Ronal asked, looking at him in confusion. "Narini does not take a liking to you?"

"Oh, Narini? She's nice. She's just a bit shy," he shrugged.

Ronal sighed as she lowered her son's knife to grab his attention.

"Aonung, spend time with her, get to know her. There is an empty Marui I have decorated for you and Narini. It is where you will reside after your iknimaya and mating ritual."

Sighing, he pondered what his mother had said. He might be able to make a certain Omaticaya girl jealous by spending time with Narini.

Katiya's stubborn nature was apparent and he understood her skepticism toward his words. After all, it was his fault that he broke her trust in the first place.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

As Rotxo stood before the Omaticaya girl, his heart raced loudly against his eardrums.

He didn't know what to say or do, his mind was blank. Trying to relax, he touched his toes together, his gaze downward.

Slowly, he raised his gaze to meet hers. His breath quickened as he saw curiosity in her eyes.

"U-Um..." he stuttered.

A puzzled look crossed Kiri's face as she furrowed her eyebrows, waiting to hear what the Metkayina boy had to say.

Behind her, Tuk stood behind a protruding rock, trying to catch Rotxo's attention. Cupping her hands over her mouth, she muttered something inaudible to him.

Rotxo tilted his head in confusion, his eyes were suddenly wide with panic. He had no idea what she was trying to convey.

"So... I'm kind of in a hurry," Kiri said, looking at him with a sense of concern.

"Oh," Rotxo breathed, returning his focus to her. "Um, I just wanted to ask you something."

"Sure, what is it?"

"Will... Will you... Will you be... my girlfriend?" He squeaked, his face suddenly flushed.

There was an awkward silence as Kiri processed his question. Then her ears turned red and she held her breath.

"G-Girl—" She coughed, to which Rotxo's eyes suddenly widen when he spotted Katiya approaching them.

"Like a friend who is a girl! No, sorry, I meant girlfriend. But not a girlfriend, but a girl friend. Like friend girl," he said quickly, laughing nervously.

Tuk's mouth fell open at his failed confession.

Rotxo's gaze flitted anxiously back to Kiri as an awkward grin adorned his face. "Because... you're a girl. And... I can be your friend."