34. caving in

"Alright, we all go on three," Tsireya exclaimed, looking around in excitement as she tightened her grip on her ilu.

Perched in the water on their ilu, the group was getting ready for Tsireya's favorite activity; ilu racing. The only individuals she gathered were Aonung, Loak, Katiya, Neteyam, Kiri, and Narini.

"Come on, Kati. Where were you last night?" Neteyam murmured beside Katiya, keeping his voice low.

"I told you already. I got tipsy, walked back to shore, and fell asleep on top of a mangrove tree root," she replied, keeping her eyes focused on Tsireya.

Neteyam rolled his eyes. "You disappeared halfway through as far as I was concerned. I had to save your ass from Dad by stuffing my blanket under yours to look like you were sleeping."

"And I'll never thank you enough for that." Katiya forced a smile.

"I'll get the truth out of you somehow," Neteyam scoffed, a playful smile on his face as he nudged her with his elbow.

Katiya laughed and shook her head.

"You're such a pain," she said, her smile widening. "But I'm glad I have you as my older brother."

"One!"

"Two!"

"Three!"

At Tsireya's signal, the group advanced into the water with their ilu. They were on a different side of the island, near the Cove of Ancestors and other caves, as they raced through the water.

They could feel the strong current pushing against them, but they kept gliding through the corals, laughing, and pointing at one another beneath the surface.

Katiya slowed down, refusing to use her full potential since Aonung and her brothers were in the lead. For now, she chose to separate herself from the Metkayina boy and keep her distance.

As a result of suddenly seeing him in a different light, the sight of him with his betrothed became unbearably painful.

Up ahead, Aonung turned around on his ilu, a grin on his face as he met her eyes.

Come on, pretty face. Show me what you got. He signed, taunting her.

She narrowed her eyes and tightened her grip on the rein, accelerating past the girls. Soon enough, she was neck to neck with him and her brothers were only a few feet ahead of them.

He glanced over to her in surprise, but she kept her head forward, determined to pass him. In a playful gesture, he extended his leg and gently nudged her illu.

Katiya stumbled, but she managed to keep her footing. She shot him an angry look and he raised a brow at her, smiling.

Annoyed, she flicked him off and rushed in front of him, blocking his view.

Aonung bit his lip, his gaze glued to her back. She glanced over her shoulder, her expression a mixture of irritation and determination.

His heart skipped a beat as he met her eyes, and he knew he couldn't keep his hands to himself. He advanced closer to her ilu but she suddenly swam up and his eyes widened when he nearly collided with a coral.

With quick reflexes, he managed to swerve to the side on his ilu. His heart was pounding as he looked for her in the depths of the sea, finally spotting her in the distance. He advanced toward her, determined to get her back.

Katiya clenched her jaw and swam forward, faster, allowing him no time to catch up to her. She knew he was up to no good again.

They chased each other beneath the water, swerving through corals and venturing further away from the group.