Chapter 12

VANSHIKA

'Mangalur...Mangalur...Mangalur!!!' fell onto my ears and I slowly opened my eyes as I could hear the sound of footsteps rushing down the bus and I rubbed my eyes and sat up straight looking outside the big glass window. I could see red and white busses and I immediately realised I was at the KSRTC Bus station. I picked my duffle bag and slowly managed to get down from the bus. It was still early in the morning. I looked at my watch and it was still 7 in the morning.

I wanted my morning cup of tea. I looked for the small shop that was selling tea and decided to walk towards them only to realise a lot of eyes that were looking at me. I suddenly realised I was still in the heavy designer lehenga choli and although I had left all the jewellery along with the letter, I still wore this dress which is a bridal wear and was screaming out loud and the henna in my hands was also giving it away that I was a bride. A runaway bride to be precise.

I noticed a bunch of men giving me creepy smiles and discussing something amongst themselves and I started feeling uncomfortable. I tried to stay at the platform to be sure I'm always in the middle of the crowd but people were leaving and the bunch of men weren't. I was getting scared and that's when suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. My heart dropped. But I wasn't someone who wouldn't put up a fight. So I pulled my rose gold steel watch and circled it around my fingers.

Before the man could take another step in one go I turned around and launched a punch onto the person's nose but the man raised his head and the punch landed on his chin and my eyes widened the minute I heard a 'Yappppaaaaaa!!!' and I cringed as I realised the owner of the voice.

Ouch!!! I'm ruthless.

'Yenchina Saav marayti!!!(What the hell lady!!!)' Karthik groaned in pain as his chin started bleeding and the watch fell from my hands and I closed my mouth with my palms. Damn it!!!

'Sorry Tikki!!!' I said softly only to hear the bunch of men laughing out loudly as they boarded their bus. That's when I noticed their jerseys, those were college kids. Freaking!!! I think I must stop watching Lavanya's tv serials. They are so dramatic and so regressive.

'Thanks Anna(brother)' he thanked the shopkeeper as he bought himself a glass of cold water while he washed the cut that was still bleeding thanks to my punch.

'Tikki please...I'm so sorry...I got scared dude!!! You know everyone was looking at me.' I kept repeating like a parrot. I was feeling really guilty seeing him groaning in pain. My overthinking had got him in trouble yet another time.

He shot me a look he covered the wound with his handkerchief and said
'Shikanji this is the standard you!!! Initially when I saw you in this gaudy green yakshagana costume (local folk dance form) I was completely confused but now I know it's you!!!' he said and I narrowed my eyebrows looking at my lehenga.

'Its worth 8-10 lakhs rupees!!! It's designed by The Aaryan Sehgal!!!' I said when he rolled his eyes saying

'Then the kid needs to learn stitching clothes. Kgs of clothing wasted yet why is the back of this dress missing? What is it? He forgot to stitch it or had he wasted all the extra clothing in the kilometres long trail which is practically sweeping our beautiful KSRTC Bus stand? Looks like sweepers can relax for the day. You have mostly done the job!!!' he said and I raised an eyebrow saying

'Look Tikki!!! Don't annoy me!!! I'm already irritated and I'm hungry and I didn't have my morning tea. You know what happens if I don't have my early morning tea!!!' I say and he gulps. He slowly caresses his chin and nods.