Chapter 1: Rules of a Young Lady

Margaret Ravens was always told she was special. Her mother said she was a blessing. Her father said she was lucky. And everyone around her praised her when she was good and quiet and polite. People had always remarked how well behaved she was, and her mother always bragged that she never cried, even as a baby. While her father always boasted that her magic appeared at only four years old.

Of course, Margaret wasn't always good and quiet and polite. Sometimes she made her mother blush in embarrassment and her father red with anger. But that only happened when she was around Draco Malfoy... and a handful of instances by herself. But they were certainly few and far between! She was around Draco Malfoy frequently with all the exclusive galas, parties, fundraisers, and gatherings her family attended. Margaret understood from a young age that these parties were important and only for certain people who were also important. People like her and people like her family. She also knew that she was to be good and quiet and polite. But, after the food was served and the adults started laughing a little louder from their drinks, she could never help herself.

Tonight, was one of those nights. The extravagant dinner had been served and Margaret had fulfilled her duty of being good and quiet and polite. Her father gave her a stern lecture beforehand that she was a young lady of eight years old, and she shouldn't be reckless tonight. Her mother nodded in agreement, warning her to act her age. But the only other eight-year-olds she knew at this particular important event were Draco Malfoy, Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle and Theodore Nott who most certainly did not act their grand age of eight. At least not the idea her parents had of what an eight-year-old should act like. She looked over longingly toward the group of boys who were laughing, being loud and certainly not being polite.

"Margaret, my dear," her mother's voice pulled her from her daydream of not being polite for just a little while. "How would you like more cake? You're doing so well." A bribe. Margaret was certainly old enough to recognize a bribe. But she couldn't resist an extra slice of cake.

Her mother was tricky. Admirable, she admitted silently as she hesitantly nodded.

Any fleeting thoughts of being un-polite vanished as a slice of cake appeared before her on a porcelain plate that ought to be simply for decorative purposes, however the Malfoy's had enough money to have two sets of these plates. One for decoration and another to use for their exclusive galas, parties, fundraisers, and gatherings. She smiled, grabbing a pure silver fork which rested on the porcelain before digging in... politely. Because she was a good and quiet and polite eight-year-old. The house-elves here at Malfoy Manor made the best cake. Its sugary, rich, chocolaty goodness almost melted in her mouth. And the frosting was lathered on top generously.

As soon as she finished, Margaret felt a hand wrap around her ankle, giving two incessant tugs to gain her attention. She froze, looking between her parents who were both looking away from her, completely absorbed in whatever important adult conversations they were having.

Another tug. She bit her lower lip, attempting to resist the urge to be bad and loud and un-polite. She knew it was Draco pulling at her ankle. She kicked her free foot around until she hit something which elicited a muffled cry.

All four of those fools were crawling beneath the table, hidden by the elaborately embroidered tablecloth. Crawling under tables was not considered polite. Certainly not.  But at least it was quiet.

Another hard tug and Margaret caved. She took one last look between her parents before sliding stealthily from her chair, beneath the tablecloth. Theodore Nott was holding his nose, tears pooling at the corners of his eyes while Vincent and Greggory were trying to stifle their laughter with their chubby hands. They most likely received two extra pieces of cake even though they weren't being good or quiet or polite.