Chapter 15: Year Two

The weight of the summer's expectations, hovering tutors and a concerned mother slid from Margaret's shoulders as she stepped onto the Hogwarts Express as a second year. She was even grateful for Draco's annoying chatter and Pansy's presence.

"They'd be fools not to give me the starting position as seeker," Draco said. "I've been training all summer, you know." Margaret did know. Everyone knew. "When I get starting position, my father is going to fund actual decent brooms for the entire team. I can't stand the school brooms."

"I'm not cut out for team sports," Theo said, leaning against the window across from Margaret. "Though I suppose keeper wouldn't be bad. You won't catch me in those quidditch uniforms though. Pansy, you'd look ravishing in them, why don't you try out?" Pansy turned up her nose, crossing her arms.

"Absolutely not. Much too barbaric of a sport," she sniffed.

"Right," Theo deadpanned. "Wouldn't want to mess up your hair or break a nail."

"That's not what I meant," Pansy retaliated. "Besides my parents would never approve. It's not something a pure-blood lady should be participating in."

"Margaret, will we be seeing you at the Hufflepuff try-outs?" Theo prompted.

"Yes, I'm at least hoping to make the secondary team," Margaret said smoothly, wanting to see Pansy's face go red in frustration. Pansy whipped her head toward Margaret, her ugly bob swinging in front of her eyes before her face turned red with a prejudiced rage.

"You must be joking," Pansy said, moving forward in her seat and sitting even taller as though she were suddenly more pure-blood than Margaret.

"Hardly," Margaret responded.

"And what of your family? What will they think?" Pansy pressed. Margaret simply shrugged in response. She cared what her family thought, but Hogwarts felt further away. Safer in a way from her parents' disappointment.

"Margaret, maybe Pansy's right," Draco said hesitantly. "You're a good flyer, but you don't want to get in trouble with your parents."

"It won't be a problem if you lot keep your mouths shut," Theo defended. "I hope you try out, Margaret. I'll be in the stands watching for you."

~*~

Margaret's worries further washed away as she returned to the familiar yet ugly yellow Hufflepuff homeroom. She felt almost at home as she sat on a chaise across from Cedric who was excitedly explaining how he was going for quidditch co-captain this year with Ernie so he could take his place once he graduated.

Roni joined the group, carrying a few packages before handing them out. One for Margaret, one for Cedric, one for Anthony Rickett, a third year and finally one for Annie Mallard, a second year.

"What's this?" Cedric asked, turning the small parcel around in his hands.

"My family travels frequently, just souvenirs from the Muggle world of Poland," Roni said, pulling up a yellow velvet footstool, eagerly awaiting them to open their gifts. Margaret discarded the wrapping paper to reveal two ceramic teardrop earrings with an intricate flowered pattern in various blues.

"Oh wow! Roni, this is great!" Cedric exclaimed as he opened up a single ceramic teacup and saucer that resembled the pattern on Margaret's earrings. Anthony opened up a Muggle watch to which he lit up as he placed it on his wrist. Annie held up an intricately carved wooden bowl, marveling at the artistry.

"They did this without magic, you're saying?" Annie asked in awe, running her fingers across the carvings.

"It takes the artists weeks to do some of their pieces," Roni explained. "But yes, it's all done by hand."

"What was Poland like?" Margaret asked, still observing the stunning earrings that were created by Muggles. She had never thought those without magic were capable of such artistry.

"It was wonderful. In the summer the streets are alive with markets and people," Roni said dreamily. "The architecture is incredible and historic. It's truly a wonder, really."

"And the buildings, how do they make those without magic?" Margaret asked, lowering her earrings. "Surely they must be small."

"Not at all," Roni said.

"Muggles have technology to help build things, you know," Anthony said. "They're not completely helpless." Margaret often forgot that Anthony's mother was a Muggle, so he had plenty of exposure to the world without magic.

"I suppose I never thought much of it," Margaret said, suddenly feeling a bit slow.

"I didn't know much about the Muggle world until about 10," Cedric said in her defence. "It's not uncommon to not know about it."

"My parents have taken me around Muggle London once in a while," Annie said. "I suppose other places would be similar." The group went on to talk about their summer adventures. Margaret didn't care to dwell on her dismal summer experience, but she was asked out of politesse.

"Margaret, doesn't your family have vacation houses everywhere? Where did you go this summer?" Cedric asked and she knew he meant well, but she felt a bitter taste rise up her throat. Envy overwhelmed her, rendering her unable to speak for a moment.

"My summer was rather dull," she admitted. "A few of my distant cousins visited. Other than that, I took classes on home management and event planning." Her friends were silent as they shifted uncomfortably.

"Home management?" Anthony echoed.

"It's... well it's something my family values," Margaret said in lieu of 'it's a pure-blood practice'.

"Is it any fun?" Annie questioned.

"Not really," Margaret admitted, looking down at the box her Polish earrings were safely stored. "I'm rather exhausted. I'm going to head to bed." Margaret gave them all an empty smile before retreating to her room. Her trunks were neatly placed at the foot of her bed like they belonged a little more than this time last year despite being at the foot of the wrong-coloured bed.