Chapter 16: Quidditch Tryouts

Margaret stood on the quidditch pitch helping Roni tie up her school loaned gear that smelled of century's old sweat. They couldn't even afford a scourgify charm between try-outs? Roni was going for chaser but didn't seem to care how well she performed considering she was only here for Margaret's sake. They had made a deal and Margaret wasn't one to back out of a deal. And perhaps secretly she truly wanted to be here.

"These things reek," Roni complained, as Margaret bent down, tightening her shin pads.

"You put yourself in this situation, I would advise you not to complain," Margaret said, moving to Roni's left leg.

"I think you would've come even without me," Roni said and Margaret stood, adjusting her own gear protecting her chest.

"You sound rather confident," Margaret responded, taking in the other students chatting about what positions they were going for in a good-natured manner. Or rather, in a Hufflepuff manner. Had it crossed anyone's mind that they were to be competing against each other for the same positions? They should be casting glares or boasting about who was better at which position or perhaps making bets. However, the pitch was rife with laughter and good-natured banter.

"I'm very confident you would have come without me," Roni said, looking to the stands where she saw Theo along with Blaise holding up a large sign that read 'KICK THEIR ASSES, MARGARET!' The text was accompanied by a charmed bit of artwork depicting a poorly drawn Margaret swatting away a bludger to hit another poorly drawn player in the head. Theo was shouting and waving his free hand while Blaise stood stoically holding up his end of the sign.

Margaret didn't want to admit she was here mostly on her own accord so she simply shrugged, turning back to Ernie who began explaining how try-outs would proceed. Roni was going for chaser which was set to complete their drills first after a group warmup. Everyone looked steady on their brooms through the drills around the quidditch pitch. Every time Margaret went past Theo and Blaise, Theo would shout crude words of encouragement.

"He's getting on my nerves," Margaret admitted as she pulled her broom next to Roni's.

"He's supportive," Roni countered as they lowered to the grass.

"And loud about it," Margaret muttered. "You're up first. Are you feeling ready? You were rather good by the end of last year."

"Is that a compliment?" Roni asked in a teasing tone. "That's very Hufflepuff of you. Not sure how well I'll do in action though." Anthony Rickett walked up to them a bright smile on his face. He was also going for the beater's position.

"Roni, let's see what you've got," Anthony said with an encouraging pat on her shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll see what I can do," Roni said, walking over to the others trying out for the chaser position.

"How are you feeling about try-outs?" Anthony asked. "I practiced all summer for this. Parents got me a practice bludger."

"I wasn't able to practice," Margaret admitted. "I was rather busy with other affairs."

"Right, pure-blood things," Anthony said making Margaret grimace. While Margaret most likely could have gotten away with some secret practice sessions with the amount of alone time she had over the summer break, it was more of a headache to attempt to hide her extra curriculars than it was worth. Her mother would have found out eventually. If not her mother, her tutors would surely let her know if they saw Margaret flying around.

"My parents simply want what's best for me and quidditch isn't necessarily in their plan," Margaret admitted as she watched the try-outs commence.