Chronicle 3

Didn't notice right away, did you? There isn't much in the way of light here in my cage, so I won't blame you. Here, I will come forward a bit so you can see in the moonlight. It's quite eerie to look at. Sickening almost. I avoided mirrors at all costs when I was younger. Now, it's a part of me. I hardly notice it.

I never regained sight in my left eye, and it was left as you see now. Thin, ink black veins reminding me how far the curse reached. Any further and I would have been dead. The healers left the eye in as there was no risk of infection, but it certainly is an eye-sore, if you get my meaning.

Unfortunately, it did affect my marriage prospects. My tutors along with the other aristocrats were never able to maintain eye contact without a look of shielded disgust. None were outright improper about it, but just enough so I would notice that they were repulsed by the mere sight of me.

Don't feel too sorry for me. In fact, don't feel sorry for me at all. Please. It makes me quite ill thinking of how many people pity me by default.

And my well-meaning father. The one who sent this curse that scarred me. The curse that rebounded off an auror's shield. I have the satisfaction of knowing he had at least the smallest bit of decency to feel guilt for the injury and permanent mark he left on my face.

On another note, the one good thing about having a father that you have difficulties getting along with in Azkaban is that his disappointment and anger are no longer nearly as close. I was always quite good at angering my father, even during his time in Azkaban. But I was far away at Hogwarts, so neither my mother nor father's disappointment could be quite as potent. Although, it was ever present.