Chapter 3: Cherry Blossoms

Margaret Ravens had been to Diagon Alley before, but a new level of excitement filled her chest as it was her, they were shopping for. It was strange without her father. And it was even stranger without her left field of vision.

The healers had said they tried everything they could. Margaret continued to go in for weekly healing sessions in hopes of reducing the black spiderwebbing scarring that spread from her ink-black eye all the way to her hairline and down to her left jawline.

St. Mungo's division of ophthalmology was sorely underfunded. Margaret's mother was astounded at the lack of good knowledge and practices. She had often muttered about funding them personally so they could 'actually get some decent work done'. Margaret knew that her family had money, but she also was old enough to know that money couldn't solve all adult problems, and it certainly couldn't replace her eye. Not many witches and wizards tended to lose eyes these days which was most likely the reason for its lower ranking on the priority list at St. Mungo's.

Margaret assumed that list was quite extensive.

Now, Margaret faced a new set of challenges. Forget being a daughter. Now, she was a daughter with a sorely visible flaw and a hideous face. That must have meant she was doubly disadvantaged. Her mother had quickly told her to not worry about disadvantages while recovering.

So, Margaret didn't. It was quite refreshing to not think about disadvantages.

Margaret was also given the privilege of being slightly less polite. Being a young lady with only one eye caused people to feel bad for her. They would dote on her and tell her how utterly horrible it was to be in a situation such as hers. Then, Margaret would be able to claim she was simply exhausted, and she was able to sneak off to do as she pleased. No one questioned her when she walked out of the hall because why would you question a young lady with one eye and an ugly face?

However, this time, Margaret didn't have to pretend to be exhausted. She wasn't just saying that to sneak off to play, she was truly fatigued. The twisting cobblestone roads were completely packed and with one less eye, she wasn't able to see people to her left. She would bump into shoulders and sidewalk displays then muttering polite apologies.

She let out a huff as she entered Flourish and Blotts for the first year required books. Her mother had a list. She always had lists for every occasion.

"Sit down on the window seat," her mother instructed. "I'll grab your books." Margaret didn't argue as she let out a sigh of relief, taking the weight off her sore feet. She would be hopeless navigating around the packed store. Luckily, she was rather invisible to people's gazes. They were much too busy fretting about their school supplies to notice.

"Ravens," the familiar voice of Draco came. He had visited her an additional three times in the hospital, twice he was accompanied by Theo. Draco and Theodore were the only two who didn't show a hint of disgust when they saw her. They were both present when the healers first removed the bandages. Theo had claimed she looked cool, which was most likely a remark so she didn't cry upon looking at herself in the little wooden hand mirror.

A smile crossed her lips when she caught a glimpse of the blonde hair that went with his, sometimes annoying voice.

"Malfoy," she greeted politely as he stopped in front of her, forcing people to scoot around them and their conversation.

"I'm surprised you're here," he admitted, holding a stack of books in his arms.

"Oh, yes," she said, still catching her breath. "Mother didn't want me to come, but I insisted. I didn't want to miss out on the first-year shopping. And besides, I still need to get my wand. Have you gotten yours yet?" Draco smiled widely, placing his books down next to her on the window bench before pulling out his very own wand from his robes and presenting it to her.