Chapter 12: Quidditch Recruitment

My dearest Margaret,

I trust you are aware of your father's sentence. I want to reassure you that you have nothing to worry about and you should continue to focus on your studies as always. We will be filing for an appeal and our lawyer will undoubtedly receive a satisfactory deal with the Wizengamot. I saw your father after his trial, and he looked well. I have already planned for a visit in April while the appeal process begins. When you return for summer break, we will visit him together.

In other news, I have been joining Narcissa Malfoy, Evelyn Nott, and a few old friends from France for weekly tea and embroidery. I have been working on a new dress for you and I hope you'll like it. The weather here has been dreadful, but it always is this time of year. The warmth will return soon. I hope you are doing well.

All my love,

Catalina Electra Ravens

Margaret re-read the letter again even after she had sent her response. Her father wouldn't be spending 35 years in Azkaban. Her mother assured her that he wouldn't, so it had to be true. She read the letter whenever she had a feeling of dread for her father. It worked to alleviate at least a few of her fears.

Today was one of those days. Her chest felt heavy with anxiety and her head was aching with unshed tears. She felt lucky to have been distracted by Cedric, Roni and a few other Hufflepuffs that didn't find her very presence revolting during meals, however, thoughts of her father never left her completely alone.

It was mid-May and the quidditch practices had resumed without the help of warming charms and shields to guard against biting winds, rain or snow. They were also working on more advanced drills more than a mere metre off the grass.

Madam Hooch blew her whistle, calling the first years back to the ground. Margaret lowered next to Roni, stepping off her broom to be faced with four older students. Margaret recognized them immediately as quidditch captains for their respective houses. Ernie Lark was Hufflepuff's seventh year captain and keeper was chatting happily with the stoic Slytherin captain and chaser, Marcus Flint.

Margaret shuddered as Flint glared at her, completely ignoring Lark's excited chatter. The Flints were a part of the Sacred Twenty-Eight, but in terms of ranking, they were slightly lower than the Lestrange or Malfoy families. Besides, the inbreeding was painfully evident with Marcus. His face was slightly deformed, his eyes just a touch too far apart and his jaw just crooked enough to make anyone look twice and it certainly wasn't the result of a bludger to the face.

Margaret recalled the Flints were related to many of the families in the Sacred Twenty-Eight. That was always why her family made marriage arrangements outside of the small elite in the United Kingdom. That was always an important topic with her Magical and Familial History tutor.

"Very good," Madam Hooch said when everyone had their feet planted on the grass. "Today we have some special guests. Please welcome our quidditch captains. They are here to talk to you about how to join the team should any of you be interested."

The Gryffindor captain, Oliver Wood, stepped forward a genuine smile on his face which widened when his gaze landed on Potter. Margaret fought the urge to roll her eyes as Harry smiled back.

"As you all know, second years are allowed to try out for their house quidditch team," Oliver began. "I encourage all of you to give it a shot, I saw some amazing skills out there. Try-outs, of course, take place in September and you can expect your captains to put you through a few drills and practice scenarios to test your skills. You can try out for as many positions as you wish and leave the choice up to the captain, or you can try out for the one you want."

"The quidditch team is a great activity to add onto your Hogwarts experience," Ernie said with a bit too much enthusiasm for Margaret. "If you don't make the starting team, we always have a set of backup players that practice just the same as the starting team, so don't get disheartened or scared about the try-out process. It's an amazing way to make friends too."

"Exactly," Oliver agreed with a nod of agreement. "If you want, we have time to talk with those interested with more detail before your next classes."

"Alright! Brooms away properly and you have time to mingle with our quidditch captains before your next class," Madam Hooch instructed. Margaret let out a huff, walking with Roni to place her broom away.

"You going to try out?" Roni asked. "You're really good."

"Oh, no, not a chance," Margaret said. "My parents certainly wouldn't approve of quidditch as an extracurricular."

"But you're good at it!" Roni said as she placed her broom in the storage shed, taking Margaret's as well, hanging it up carefully.

"Just because I'm good at it, doesn't mean I should try out," Margaret protested. "You've gotten much more comfortable; you should try out. I could see you as a keeper."

"Me? Out there? No way," Roni said as they walked back out to the quidditch pitch where a few students were chatting excitedly with their captains.

Margaret stumbled forward as Draco shouldered past her, smirking as he turned around.

"I'm going for seeker next year," Draco said. "Starting position, of course."

"You've got lofty goals," Margaret said in a dry tone making Draco roll his eyes.

"Don't think I can do it?" Draco questioned challengingly as Crabbe and Goyle took up their positions on either side of their Hogwarts king.

"Does it matter what I think?"

"Are you trying out?" Draco asked.

"Doubt it," Margaret said bitterly. She did like flying, but her parents would be more likely to not send her back to Hogwarts at all if they knew.

Draco surveyed her, crossing his arms. "Too bad," he said. "You'd make a good beater. Maybe you'd make the Hufflepuff team worth something. I'll see you later." With a nod at her and a glare at Roni, Draco turned, making his way to Marcus trailed by Crabbe and Goyle.

"He's right, you know," Ernie's voice came, and Margaret turned. "You'd make a good beater." Roni nudged Margaret's side, giving her an encouraging smile.

"I didn't think you'd want me on your team," Margaret said.

"Of course, I do! I saw you practicing. You're a natural," Ernie said. "Just come to try-outs in September. I don't have to put you on the starting line-up, but I think you'd be great." Margaret felt a headache building behind her eyes, thinking of all the possible implications of her parents finding out.

"I'll think about it," Margaret said hesitantly.

"Great! I hope to see you on the pitch in September," Ernie said with a bright, Hufflepuff smile.

"You have to go," Roni said, gripping Margaret's arm tightly, jostling her back and forth. Margaret managed to escape Roni's grip.

"If I'm going, then you're going too," Margaret insisted.

"It's a deal!" Roni said and Margaret sighed, rubbing her temples. She had certainly expected more of a fight about that one.