Chapter 11: The Trial of Antoine Elias Ravens

Margaret's body felt abuzz with anxiety. Today was the day of her father's trial. Despite Catalina's reassuring words in her most recent letter, Margaret couldn't shake the feeling of impending doom. Not only would this trial determine how long her father would be in Azkaban for his crimes, but it would also be highly publicized in the politics section of the Daily Prophet which much of the school, unfortunately read.

Tomorrow everyone would judge her father in their own ways and, by extension, her. That did not bode well for the current struggle of making friends.

Margaret struggled through classes. Potions was hardly of any interest to her as they were working on a simple antidote to a common magical ailment. Her quill didn't leave the inkwell all day.

"Miss Ravens," Professor Snape's voice floated easily over the shuffle of students packing their bags and books, "if you could spare the time to see me, that would be greatly appreciated." Some of her classmates chuckled, whispering about what she might be in trouble for.

Margaret sighed, placing her things in her bag before walking to the front of the classroom to stand before Professor Snape who took a seat behind his desk which was scattered with papers and notes.

"Professor," Margaret greeted, holding her gaze evenly with his.

"You seem distracted," he said. "Does potions no longer hold an interest for you?"

"It's not that," Margaret said quickly. "I'm simply not feeling well today, sir."

"Could it be because of the trial today?" Snape asked and Margaret froze. Of course, Professor Snape would be aware of her father's trial. More-so than anyone else. He had been a close family friend during the war.

"People are going to talk. I'm not looking forward to the coming days," Margaret explained. "I doubt this publicity will help my standing with my housemates."

"I understand," he said, arranging some papers on his desk. "I was told by your mother to inform you of what your father's crimes are. When you, inevitably, hear other students talking, you will be prepared. She didn't want you hearing it from your classmates or the newspapers first."

"Why didn't she tell me herself then?" Margaret asked, a feeling of annoyance filling her chest. "I was home, she should have told me then."

"Miss Ravens, I am not a parent, so I wouldn't know. It's certainly none of my business," Snape said, leaning back in his chair. Margaret huffed, looking down.

"Very well," she mumbled. "I believe it would be best to hear it from you."

"Your father is not a bad man," Professor Snape assured, and Margaret opened her mouth to argue. "But he wasn't a saint either. During the war, many regrettable things had been done on both sides. Your father was an effective combatant within the Dark Lord's ranks as was your mother.

"As far as the charges, he is charged with the murder of the Deputy Minister for Magic at the time Veronica Cartwright among other lesser charges."

"But she was found dead in her home without the use of magic," Margaret argued. "They said it was a Muggle."

"And things change," Snape said smoothly.

"What could have possibly changed?" Margaret snapped. "Did she claw herself out of her grave to tell the Wizengamot of her death?"

"No, however that doesn't mean that new evidence can't be found." Margaret gritted her teeth together, looking away.