The Wedding!

The wedding hall was filled with people from in and around the village of ‘Kondayampalayam’ in the Coimbatore district. The ‘Nadaswaram’ and ‘Melam’ were making warm yet enjoyable auspicious music adding grace to the wedding hall. Manickam and Durga were standing at the front reception table receiving guests to their daughter’s wedding. 

“Welcome, sir! Please, come in. Come in, Madam!” The groom’s parents came running to the huge car that entered the wedding hall gates. Looking at their hurry and demeanor, Manickam and Durga came running too to receive the special guests.

“Come in, sir, come in, madam,” they added. 

Krishnan got down the car with a little nod acknowledging their reception. In a dark blue button-down shirt and black jeans, Krishnan looked eerily handsome. His jet-black hair fell on his forehead making him sexier. He had folded the full-hand shirt to his elbows making his hard-earned arms visible. Then his mother Kowsalya got down. Everyone will naturally respect her subtle richness. They went into the hall behind the groom’s parents. After seating them in the front row and giving them hot tea, Krishnan asked them to get on with their work. The Groom, who was sitting on the stage ready to get married, visibly got happy that his boss had come to his wedding. 

“Bring the bride!” The priest called for the bride and some girls brought the bride to the stage. 

The bride’s eyes were roaming amidst the crowd of the wedding hall. She felt relaxed as she saw some thumbs up in the crowd. Yeah, they are her friends with whom she would play cricket all day. All high school boys! The bride’s sister helped her sit down as she was struggling with the heavy saree and garland.

“Look at the bride, she is so young and beautiful. I don't know how her parents agreed to this unmatched wedding,” Kowsalya said to her son. The groom is in his early 30s’, his front hairline was already receding and the bride looked like she was just out of school.

“Pch, amma, quiet. It is none of our business.” Krishnan tried to quiet his mom but he couldn't stop but think the same seeing the bride. She was short, a little plump, and beautiful. Her big doe-like beautiful eyes roaming here and there made her look like a lost child. The chubby cheeks made her look literally like a kid. How in the world did her parents think this is the right age for her to marry is beyond him.

“Hmmm, I am so unlucky! I am not destined to get a beautiful girl like her as my daughter-in-law.”

“Amma!” Krishnan warned his mother to stop. 

“You are going to everyone else’s wedding. When is your wedding? When are you going to consider my wish? There was once a mishap. I don't deny it. But it is not the end of your life, Krishna.”

“Amma, this is not the place.”

“Then which is the right place to talk to you about this? You never let me talk about this.”

“That is because I cannot think of another girl in her place. Not in this birth.”

“But she wouldn't like this fate for you if she was alive.”

“I wouldn't have to choose this fate if she was alive.”

“Krishna.”

“Amma, please. We are here to attend my employee’s wedding.” Krishna stopped his conversation with his mother and looked up at the stage. All the while he just kept noticing the bride. She kept fiddling her hands in her garland. She kept looking in the crowd as if she was searching for someone. Her eyes landed on him more than three times now and he raised his eyebrows at her in a question when she looked at him again.