The Flashback!

‘Aiyayo, azhaga irukaru, jolly ah love pannitu suthalam nu kalyanam pannikita ivaru padika solraru. Pochu, yethavthu panni aattatha kalachuru de, illana kaalam poora padikka vechey kolluvaru pola! (Omg, I married him because he looked so handsome. When I thought I could roam around joyfully loving him, he is asking me to study. Do something and escape from this plan, or else he will kill you by making you study all day.)’ Her conscience mocked her.

“Athai, please tell him that I don't want to study. I have had a fever every time I hear the word exam.” Dammu kept saying the same thing over and over again that even Kowsalya felt pity for her daughter-in-law.

“I will talk to him, dear!”

“Happa, talk to him like you talked to him yesterday in the wedding hall.” She gave tips to her mother-in-law for which she laughed heartily.

But everything went down the drain when at 10.30, his pa came with a big bundle of new books for tenth grade. The acting she tried in the morning really came to her when she saw the books.
***

“Hey, what happened? Hey!” Krishna tapped her cheeks as soon as she fell, fainting on him.

“Pch!” He lifted her like a baby, and due to the sudden lift, Dammu got scared and hugged his neck. With her movement, Krishna looked down at her, but she was still maintaining her act. He walked to his room, disregarding the gasps Thulasi and Maruthani made. He felt his mom’s eyes on him until he entered his room.

“Amma!” Dammu sat up in the force he threw her onto his bed.

“Acting-u?” He asked her between his gritted teeth.

“Hehe! I will listen to whatever you say. Please, no exams!” She surrendered to him. Nevertheless, she didn't forget to ogle his chest and arms.

“You are going to write your 10th exams first. Then 12th exams. And then college.” He said, and now she really felt sick in her stomach. She thought he would let her go with the 10th exams, but his list made her stomach fall into a pit.

“Please!” She tried her pretty puppy dog face on him. Though he found her cute, he didn't let her escape his clutches. He was very sure that she should study to be independent. Poor him, and he didn't know that he would hate that day she is going to become independent of him.

“Write your 10th exams or sign the divorce papers. These are the two options I am going to give you. Choose your pick!”

“Aiyayo!” she looked at him, worried. But he didn't wait to see her biting her lower lip! He dashed out of the door and ran to his office.
***

“Athai, I just feel like crying.” Dammu cried, hugging her mother-in-law while looking at the humongous books.

“Achacho! What is this, Damayanthi? Crying like a child! The tutorial will help you, dear. I will talk to my son, if you are scared to write the exams in four months, we can write it next time. Take your time.”

“Mmm!” She nodded her head and walked to her room with a load of books. All the while, her brain was only thinking of the ways she could escape this misery.
***

In the office,

“Krishna!” Mithu called him with an uncontained smile.

“Shut up!” Krishna tried to shove him away, but Mithu never let him.

“Pch, unaku vela illaya? (don't you have any work?)” Krishna asked him.

“I do! But this is more important. I spoke to Aunty.”

Krishna knew his mother would have told him everything! From Chanakyan’s arrival to Maya’s fake fainting. He could not face his friend. He could not deny the attraction he felt toward her. Everything she does, he admires. The joy and smiles she inflicts upon him, it has been years since he felt that way. All the time she was with him, he had to try hard to stop that smile. She was a peculiar case. She would try to push her luck, but when it backfires, she would just surrender!