The Decisions

Damayanthi could not believe anything that was happening. When her stepmother came with Ram’s picture, she instantly disliked him. He looked much older than her and her dad said the same. Her stepmother was perfect much like the ones that come in movies. She married Manickam when Damayanthi was a year old. Damayanthi’s mother died during the delivery and his relatives forced him to marry Durga to take care of the baby. 

When Durga conceived Akrithi the next year, her priorities changed. She started giving all good things to her daughter. But that doesn't mean she starved Damayanthi. Akrithi and Manickam were very loving to her which made Damayanthi see less of her stepmother’s partiality.

Damayanthi grew up to be a naturally beautiful girl which made Durga feel inferior to her daughter. Damayanthi had a fair complexion while Akrithi was a little on the dusky side. But Akrithi is nothing less than Damayanthi in beauty. She is a very beautiful girl too. While Damayanthi was attractively beautiful, Akrithi was a subtle beauty. The sisters never cared for their beauty but Durga did. That made her find an ugly groom for her stepdaughter.

Damayanthi was not a bright student. She didn't like to go to school. She loved roaming out on the streets of her small village and talking to everyone. And when one day she was in her tenth grade, Manickam fell ill and they were in a money crisis. Durga used that chance to stop Damayanthi from school and she was more than happy to discontinue her studies. She didn't even write her public exam. But Akrithi, on the other hand, studied well. The sisters were more like friends with only a one year age difference. 

Durga talked to her husband in a way he would agree to this wedding. 

“He is an engineer in a big company. He is looking for a beautiful girl and is not expecting anything. The groom’s side will take care of all the wedding expenses and all we have to do is to bring our daughter to the wedding hall. The family is too good and we will not get another prospect like this in the future if we let go of this now. The only problem here is that the groom is a little older than Dammu. But when everything else is positive, we should compromise this little thing.”

That was it, Manickam agreed to this wedding. It was Damayanthi and Akrithi’s plan to write a nameless letter to the groom to stop the wedding. They could not send the letter without anyone noticing because they were so popular in their village and hence they waited until the day of her wedding. Akrithi made sure that their friends gave the letter to the main relative of the groom through a little girl. And everything happened as they expected except for one thing. Krishnan!

Kowsalya ran into the house before everyone and made ready the ‘Arathi’ for the newly married. She did the rituals and let everyone in. As soon as they were all in and settled on the sofa, Kowsalya ordered the maids to make tea, coffee, and juice for the guests according to their wants. Whilst Kowsalya was busy in hospitality, Krishnan sat there in the center of the sofa and looked at everyone.

Manickam was dreaded by the wealth of his son-in-law while Durga was boiling inside for the luck her stepdaughter had. Akrithi is actually happy for her sister. Damayanthi didn't hate marriage. She hated her marriage with Ram. They were two little girls who didn't know the extent of their behavior and its after-effects. All they wanted was to stop this wedding but they didn't think of its consequences. 

Damayanthi stood near her mom and was in awe of her husband. She understood that his mother is his everything in the way he just obeyed her words. I mean, who would marry a stranger just for his mother’s words? He did! From that, she understood his character. He is extremely handsome and tall. His mannerisms are so attractive. She was continuously ogling him for the past hour or so since he came into that wedding hall. The way he raises his eyebrows, the way he brushes his hair now to keep himself calm, the way he blows air out of his mouth, everything was attractive to her. She could not peel her eyes off of him and his well-built muscles. She liked him instantly. His manly figure and his built body were making her dizzy in the head.