Oh, No!

“Meera!” The receptionist said that made Krishna stand up from his chair. Krishna clicked open the surveillance camera in the reception and dashed out of the door. Mithu ran behind him, not knowing what exactly happened. Before he could reach it, the elevator closed with Krishna. Mithu ran down the three flights of stairs and halted in his place as the scene unraveled in front of him.

Krishna reached Meera in two steps and hugged her in front of his office employees. Everyone looked at him with their jaws on the floor. Krishna and Mithu are handsome guys, but no, no ladies! They are strict as hell and kept the ladies in a line away from them.

“Meera!” Mithu’s lips moved without sound. 

“God, Meera! How are you? Where were you? Are you alright? Oh, thank god!” Krishna released her from his hug and asked her a string of questions.

“Krish!” She brought her shivering hands to his cheeks and palmed his face. Her eyes were pouring non-stop. She looked very pale and unhealthy. 

“Come in, Krishna. Bring her in.” Mithu told him while shooing away the workers to their places. Krishna walked her to the elevator and to his room. Mithu locked the room. A woman whom they thought dead was right in front of their eyes. Krishna’s intuition and Mithu’s talk about ghosts just before that made Mithu look at her legs to make sure she is human. 

Krishna, on the other hand, was at ease. He felt relieved to see her alive. Something that was unsettled in his heart came to a halt at this point. It was he who clicked the switch to burn the bodies of Meera and her parents years ago after police formalities. Since no one came to claim their bodies, he did the last rights for them. Now, seeing her in flesh and bones made him happy and confused at the same time.

Even though Mithu is happy that Meera is fine and alive, he doesn't like her arrival! Especially not at this time. His friend was finally realizing that he was in love with his wife, and Meera coming at this time was not good. He kept quiet and listened to what she had to say.

“Meera!” Krishna called her while sitting her carefully on the sofa in the sitting area in his room. He handled her like she was a porcelain doll, so fragile as if he feared his touch would break her. His hands were shivering more than hers. His eyes were teared up!

“Krish!” She looked at him, and her words hitched in her throat. He gave her a glass of water, and she grabbed it from him and drank it up. Krishna finished the rest of the bottle as he needed it the most. Her eyes never left him, and it was like she was filling him with her eyes and heart. Krishna sat near her, holding her hands. He saw her without blinking his eyes, as if, if he blinked, she might vanish in a poof.

“Where were you so long? We all thought you were dead.” Mithu asked her, cutting between them. Meera looked at him and tried to smile. 

“I was held hostage for so long, Krish! I don't know who did it, but the day before yesterday, someone unlocked the door. When I came out, I saw a set of clean clothes and some money. I tried to see if this was a trick, but there was no one. I escaped that place and came straight to you.” Meera said. 

***

Everyone went back to the day when Meera and her family were last seen. It was the day after the grand launch of Mithu and Krishna’s business! Krishna and Mithu were 24 years old, and Mithu’s dad helped them arrange everything for their start-up business. Krishna put in an equal amount of money as an investment as Mithu. 

“Krish, I am so proud of you! I wish you all success!” Meera wished him with a large flat gift box.

“What is this, Meera? Your wish is more than enough!”