Assurance?

As usual, Dammu woke up at 6 AM. She looked straight at her husband’s bed but he was not there. She got down from the bed and ran out to the balcony to see if he went there again. But he was nowhere to be found in the room. She went out of the room and got down to meet her athai.

“Good morning, athai.” She chirped in her sweet voice.

“Good morning, dear. Go get a bath and come.” She told her daughter-in-law with a shy smile. That was how Dammu came out. Her saree was totally out of place, and milk stains everywhere, dried up and crushed flowers on her hair, and smeared kajal! It was a shock to see her like that. She thought her son would be angry! But it looks like her son is a Romeo, after all.

“Aiyo, I bathed two times yesterday. So it's a holiday for bathing today,” she said when Kowsalya clutched her heart. Krishna came into the hall after his jogging just when she said that, and he slapped his head hard. 

“Good morning!” She said as she stood up from the chair she was sitting on. Her voice went in as he walked in long strides towards her. 

“Come!” He held her hand and pulled her upstairs to his room.

“Amma, it hurts.” She brushed her wrist where he held her, and he saw her wrist reddened. 

‘How soft is she?’ he thought to himself.

“Kooptu iruntha naney vanthu irupen la? (If you have called me, I would have come on my own.)” 

“Go and bathe.” He told her, feeling guilty for hurting her. He was shocked to see her come down without checking herself in the mirror. His mom’s teasy smile was poking his heart. He did not want to give false hopes to his mother.

“Pch, enaku thannila gandam. (water is dangerous to me.)” She said very seriously.

“What?” He looked at her. She looked up at him and forgot to breathe. His sleeveless shirt was drenched in sweat, and his abs and arms were on display. He saw her checking him out. He saw her do that yesterday in the wedding hall stage. Curious about her behavior, he lifted his eyebrows at her in question, and she never turned his side again, at least not when he saw her.

“Um… nothing!” She dropped her eyes to the ground.

“Then go and take a bath.” He pushed her into the restroom and shook his head. A small smile crept on his lips, thinking of how she checked him out. He was astonished that she was completely occupied in his thoughts that he didn't have that nightmare yesterday. He understood that there is a magic in her that makes him light and stress-free with just her antics. He went to his gym and came back to his room only to see his wife coming out of his room. He went to the restroom and instantly knew that she didn't bathe. 

“Hey!” He called her, running out of his room. She was running down the stairs.

“Hmm!” She turned to look at him.

“Come here!” 

“Aiyayo!” She murmured, but he heard it just fine. She came up the stairs as slowly as possible. His patience flew through the window, and he met her halfway and grabbed her hand, and dragged her up to his room.

“Aiyo! Athai!” She screamed, but her husband dashed her back against the door and locked it. 

“Shhh!” He threatened her, caging her between his arms.

“Sathiyama nan kulichuten. (Promise, I took bath.)” She said, looking into his eyes, but the very statement outed her. 

‘Pulugu moottai! Evlo easy ah poi sollura! (liar! How easily she lies!)’ he thought to himself.