xvii. hidden sins

End of the world (feat. GSoul) - Epik High (I love this song so freaking much)

SYNN'S POV:

The clinking of cutlery sounded through the cafe. Warm, dim bulbs glowed above tables, clustered together in threes and fours, and the scent of coffee drifted across the counter. Dark had swooped upon the town like a raven. Remnants of daylight were now smeared across the sky and a chill hung deeply in the air, imprisoned beyond the doors. I lifted the demitasse to my lips and let the coffee settle on my tongue.

Carmelos poured his third sugar packet into his latte beside me. He took a tiny, tiny sip, then shivered in disgust. He ripped open his fourth packet.

Checking my watch, I released an impatient sigh.

"Where is he, Carmelos?" I questioned slowly.

"I don't know, Jefe, he's not picking up his phone." I continued staring at him, to which he nervously stirred his coffee. "I swear I told him six o'clock! You can ask him yourself... if he turns up."

[Boss.]

Clenching my jaw, I gestured with a nod of my head. "Drink up."

Another few minutes of murmuring and coffee brewing passed before the bell at the door rang. A familiar set of limbs and torso appeared through the glass.

The man entered the coffee shop. Dark brown hair fell about his face, combed by the wind, and his careful, golden eyes swept the tables. A motorbike helmet dangled from one of his gloved hands. When his gaze finally reached us, a number of emotions crossed his stone features as we made eye contact before hardening once more. Clearing his throat, he approached our table in the corner of the cafe.

"Jefe," he said. He bowed his head curtly.

[Boss.]

"Emilio."

I leaned back in my seat, legs widening.

"You're late."

"Apologies, Jefe. I was updating Badr on his duties regarding the police case."
[Boss.]

*I have such a fat crush on Badr my Arab king you guys will meet him later hehe*

Emilio pulled the chair beside me and took his seat, setting his helmet on the table. My natural inclination would be to sanction such behaviour, but there would be no benefit in punishing the man who was my underboss for something so menial.

Just like how Carmelos was my advisor, or consigliere as the Italians would call it, Emilio had warranted more trust from me than I'd have thought possible before meeting him. Coming to England seemed an impossible feat for a seventeen year old Spanish boy, let alone conjuring his own Mafia, but Emilio's fierce loyalty and cruel hands made the task all the more easy for me. He was a weapon to be wielded - a weapon to behold - and crossing paths with such a man meant certain death.

I was proud to have him as my second, and dared to call him a friend.

"Carmelos, get out the file," I ordered.

"Aye-aye, captain."

He clicked open his briefcase and pulled out a brown wallet before placing it on the table. Emilio's sharp eyes scoured the front and he looked at me curiously.

"The reason I called you today was to relay the information Carmelos has been collating about the new gang breaching our territory."

"Elusion," murmured Emilio. His next words were in Spanish. "I'm aware of their dealings with some thugs in the neighbouring town. It appears that they're growing at an alarming rate and they've already taken out a couple of ours."