xxx. soulmates

cardigan - Taylor Swift

THEA'S POV:

Night crawled in sluggishly. The sun tumbled past the horizon, flickers of light passing through my window while I hunched over my desk and scribbled down the last of my homework. I'd already wished Mama and Papa an early goodnight after dinner and scrambled back up to my bedroom; faintly through my door, I caught wind of them doing the same and heading up to sleep. Quiet passed through the house like a familiar friend carrying a box which stole all sound, all noise and chaos.

I hummed a soft tune to myself as I finished my last sentence and dropped my pencil on the table. Pleased by my progress, I leaned back in my chair and stretched my arms up high above me, only to remember the cat snoozing peacefully in my lap. I smiled and stroked Ruffles' head with one thumb.

Stealing a glance out of the window, I watched the loving glow in people's homes be snuffed, lights switched off and paisley curtains drawn. That soft gushing feeling remained deep within my veins from my encounters with Danny and Carmelos. Even though my androphobia hadn't disappeared, part of me was still astonished to find the man not as frightening as once thought. Of course, I wasn't close to being comfortable around him yet, but it was certainly a start.

While I sat dreaming at my desk, my phone broke my reveries. It vibrated on the table.

Careful not to wake the sleeping cat, I grabbed my phone and checked the screen.

Synnie <3: Open the door.

My eyes widened. I leaned forward. Open the door? What did he mean open the door?

Wait, was he... outside?

Trying to catch a glimpse of the street through my window, I found myself incapable. Apologetically, I lifted Ruffles from my lap. "Sorry, baby," I whispered and plopped her on my bed, making her ears flutter as she landed on all fours. I scavenged my drawers for a hairband and swiftly tied my hair in a sort-of messy bun.

The house was cold as I padded in my fluffy cow slippers down the stairs, careful not to make a sound. My parents thought I was sleeping. I had to keep it that way! The living room was dark, sofas resembling shadowy creatures deep at rest, and I had to watch my step not to trip on a stray charging cable. After reaching the landing, I rushed to the front door and peeked through the peephole to ensure I wasn't hallucinating. I yanked the door open.

"Synn, what are you doing he-!"

Suddenly, a warm, rough hand was over my mouth. His scent engulfed me, soothing some of the panic that struck my insides. I blinked in shock, eyes wide and circular as I took in his unexpected appearance.

As he stepped inside to tower over me, my heart quickened. Synn was dressed in a tight, black shirt, one which clung to his upper body like a second skin; the material stretched against his wide chest and thick biceps, and I feared that if I reached forward, I'd practically be able to feel the muscle I knew was hidden beneath. Dazed, I scoured his face for an answer. Dark eyes met mine in an instant and I fought the urge to smile, only to find a stern expression on his face.

"Not a word," he murmured, palm still pressed tightly to my lips.

I fought the urge to lick him and instead blinked, again.

"Now, we're going upstairs to your room, sí?" he demanded lowly. I nodded my head, still more baffled than ever but completely responsive to the dominance he was exuding. Synn removed his hand. 

[Yes?]

My lips parted to speak, to utter many incoherent words, but the sharpness of his eyes had me falling silent. Instead, I brought my hands to my mouth in embarrassment. I turned around. Hastily, I made my way up the stairs and glanced behind to find Synn following shortly, taking in the darkness of the living room and the landing. Pushing the door open, I ushered him inside before pressing it shut again and locking it swiftly behind me.