xxxi. puppet strings

Amoeba - Clairo

THEA'S POV:

Humming a tune to myself, I sat in front of the vanity, tongue poking out of the corner of my mouth while trying to put some butterfly clips in my hair. Pink and purple weaved through the garden of dark brown strands. I turned my head left and right to check my hair from all angles, then exhaled in the mirror.

The weekend had arrived promptly with no intent on dillydallying. Part of me was dejected knowing I'd have to be away from Synn, but the other part was energised by the fact that Danny would be arriving soon. After our last chemistry lesson, I'd managed to pass her my number and address on a small sticky note. We'd only exchanged a couple of texts so far but even those had me terribly anxious.

Conscious now, my eyes combed through my bedroom in search of anything spoiling the view. I'd cleaned it at least three times. I nodded firmly to myself and clambered down the stairs in search of my mother.

Immediately, I was met with the scent of fresh salan and roti. Spices drifted about the kitchen, catching the back of the back of my throat to make me salivate: turmeric, garlic, cinnamon and cardamom. Mama's back came into view at the stove, her black curls tied in a high bun and shawl draped over her shoulders while lunch simmered.

I tiptoed up to her. Abruptly, I stuck my fingers in her sides and made her stiffen.

"Boo!"

I laughed at her when she whipped her head around and gave me a gentle scowl. "Thea," she said disapprovingly. "Don't do that."

"Sorry," I drawled, twisting my toes on the linoleum floors. I hopped beside her. "What are you making? I don't know if Danny can handle spicy food so could you please make it mild?"

"Danny?"

"Mhm, Danny. My friend... my friend who's supposed to be coming today..?"

Mama looked at me blankly. "Is that a boy?"

"No!" I said all too quickly. "Danny, short for Daniella. She's a girl, Mama."

"You didn't tell me she was coming."

My shoulders slumped. "But I-I did. I told you on Thursday, remember?"

Again, her eyes appeared vacant and she returned to the pot at the stove. I'd made sure to tell her. I was certain-

"This food is for Auntie Sonia. I told you that her daughter was getting married next month, right?"

"Auntie's coming today?" I said rather faintly, my hopes flooding down the drain by the second.

She put her wooden spoon down and turned to me, suddenly more engaged in the conversation than ever. Her dark brown eyes glowed with tenacity. I eyed her face warily. "Did you know she's looking for her son now?"

"Looking?"

"For marriage."

I gave Mama a tight, nervous smile. "That's good for him."

I didn't like where this conversation was going.

"Thea." Mama clasped her hands in front of her, an embarrassed smile twitching on her face. "How would you feel about talking to this boy?"

My jaw slackened. I blinked at her. "Bu- Mama, what are you- I'm- I'm still in school!"

"Hush, I'm not asking you to get married right now. After your education, of course."

"M-My education will finish after three more years. I'm supposed to go to university next year-"

"You don't have to."