xxiv. shatter

Givin' Up (Don Toliver & 21 Savage, 2 Chainz) - Metro Boomin

SYNN'S POV:

Music thrummed from inside the club like an aggravated wasp's nest. A gaggle of men filled the seats before the stage, fingers stuffed with bills and mouths drooling at the sight of scantily clad women spiralling the poles and sinking down to their heels, giving glimpses of what the same men could never have. Some adjusted their pants; others whooped and cheered. Methodically, servers balancing coloured drinks on platters moved from table to table before returning to the bar to restock, but stares only followed in hopes of catching a flash from under their skirts.

I took a sip of my Bourbon and watched carefully from the balcony. My eyes dragged across the familiar faces of those who I'd dealt with in the past: Warren Anderson, a snake of a Chief Inspector from the local police department; Amari Owosua, a secretary I'd bribed to keep quiet about our funds reaching the member of parliament she worked under; and Derek Chen, Head of the Worker's Union for Shunyuan Construction. His nervous gaze darted from the stage to the floor above and he locked eyes with mine. I offered him a smirk and raised my drink. He gulped, then looked away.

My gaze continued to flicker over the many men and women lounging down below, but I paused at the glimpse of a girl - a girl I was desperately trying to forget.

She stood in the midst of people and peered up at me, doe eyes glittering like sparklers in the heat of the club. Innocently, she tilted her head to the side.

I swallowed harshly.

I looked away. She wasn't real.

Pulling away from the balcony, I turned to return to the sofas which were stirring with VVIP members. Belts of laughter whipped through the air and tobacco smoke curled in the dim lighting. As I drew near to the seats, I found another two familiar faces approaching: one, I was pleased to see, and the other, less pleased.

"Badr," I greeted, shaking off my thoughts. He raised his hand to shake mine and gripped it firmly. I turned to the other man who was looking around aimlessly, hands shoved in his pockets. "Carmelos. Where have you been?"

"Me?" he said incredulously and pointed at his chest. "I was sorting out some perv downstairs. You know, he even tried to get handsy with me! He fully went for my dick and everything. I mean, I can understand why. I am the most attractive man in the room, but that still doesn't give him the right to gro-"

"Carmelos."

"Yes, Jefe?"

[Boss?]

"Shut up."

"Yes, Jefe."

Shaking my head at him, my eyes returned to the man in front of me. He had a solemn stare but one that commanded respect and attention. Thick, trimmed brows led to a strong nose and mouth, and a kempt beard spread from his sharp cheekbones all the way to his upper lip and chin. He was still young, only twenty-two now, but he had the eyes of a veteran. I knew why. Intensity was only expected from Emilio's right-hand man but even now, Badr's stare was the sole one which matched mine.

"It's good to see you," I said earnestly. "Will you sit?"

"It's good to see you too, brother." His thick Arab accent only enhanced the rasp of his voice. "I will not sit. I must leave soon."

"Why is that?"

"The alcohol..." He gestured behind him. "The girls. It is not good for me to be here, brother."

"I understand. Then we'll keep this short."

Badr nodded his head as I pulled him to the side, Carmelos following closely behind. It was a rare occasion for him not to be the one relaying information and I could see he was enjoying it, his dark eyes reflecting the pink lights like sprinklers jetting outward. We reached a secluded corner of the upper floor and I swallowed the last of my Bourbon, the drink slipping warmly, pleasurably down my throat. Setting the glass aside, I turned to the two men and nodded my head.