xix. the beast's cave

Suplicar - ¿Téo?

THEA'S POV:

Silk.

I was in a silken web. Gossamer threads weaving under and over my legs. Face pressed against the soft, lush fibres. I didn't remember my bed being so soft. If it were possible, I'd turn into a dewdrop to catch the morning sun, linger in this beautiful, delicate web and slip down the length of each silver cord. That would be far better than having to wake from my slumber.

Reluctantly, my eyes fluttered open.

Golden light licked over my eyelids and I squinted at the dark yet voluminous room around me. The walls were black aside for the windows panning the entire wall ahead and to the right of me, stretching from the dark wooden floors to the lofty ceiling. Black bed sheets tangled around my legs along with black satin pillows and sheer curtains draped on either side of the windows.

My impressions of the colour black couldn't have been more wrong for I had always thought it would make a room look small, but this room was endless. In the black of spacetime, light appeared to feel at home.

But as I took in the lush bedroom, a dark realisation crawled up the back of my neck.

This wasn't my room.

Frantically, I scrambled backwards until my back hit the backboard of the bed. I drew my knees to my chest. My eyes darted around and I inhaled sharply. Where was I? What had happened last night? I scavenged my brain for answers but my memories were a furor that couldn't be tamed. Raising two balled up hands to my mouth, I shrunk into the backboard and waited.

The room was quiet save for the ticking of a dark clock on the wall. As I listened to its breaths, its whirring of life, my thoughts slowly rearranged themself.

Pierce. That was what had happened.

In the soupy collection of my memories, a shadow loomed over me, eclipsing the kitchen lights and the water spilled over the kitchen counter. I screwed my eyes shut and exhaled a soft, shaky breath. He was gone now. He wasn't here.

I was... with Synn.

My eyes snapped open.

I was with Synn. This was Synn's home. This was Synn's bed.

And last night, we'd...

Warmth trickled over my cheeks and I buried my face in my hands.

Last night... he'd held me. We'd hugged. Touched. Brushed skin. Suddenly, I could remember every moment of the night before, from the warmth of his breath to his strong, tattooed arms that wound around my waist like a belt of satin, soft yet melding around every curve of my hips. I could remember his cologne, his heart steadily thundering against my ear, the sweet, husky words that drizzled from his voice like burnt honey.

"Thea," I hissed to myself. "What did you do? What did you do?"

A strange, high-pitched squeal escaped me and I lowered my hands. What if he didn't remember? What if he conveniently forgot? That sounded possible to me.

Cautiously, I lowered my legs over the side of the bed. The room was empty, no sign of Synn. Part of me was grateful. My toes touched the cold wooden floors and goosebumps rippled across my calves.

Stepping up and away from the bed, I was enraptured by the room. It was nothing like I'd seen before: a black cave with glittering stalactites, gold ornaments that glowed in the sunlight. The wide, towering windows beckoned me forward and I edged towards them.