xi. sticky situation

Honey Whiskey - Nothing But Thieves

A/N: I just want to clarify that I don't have a specific update schedule. I try my best to update quickly, whether that be Thursday, Saturday or whenever. It all depends on when I'm free, so please don't leave messages on my board about not updating on time or taking too long. Thank you babies x

THEA'S POV:

I didn't know why it hurt to see them together, but it did. It burned.

Although I couldn't quite see the expression on Synn's face, I wasn't sure I wanted to. He was probably smitten by the girl, just like most men were. She was inexplicably beautiful with her sharply cut features and silky black hair rolling in waves down to her waist. Rumour was that you'd never see her in town without a different boy on her arm, and normally an older boy. It would make perfect sense for the handsome man to take after Blessing like the others.

But to my utter astonishment, he shoved her back.

She stumbled in her heeled boots. A gasp of outrage left her lips and murmurs from nearby girls followed suit. I gaped along with everyone else. How was it possible for him to reject the most stunning girl at school? He'd even pushed her! But despite how most people would have perceived the act as unrefined or callous, he couldn't seem to care less. In fact, he almost looked disgusted.

"What the fuck was that for?" Blessing yelled. "You don't just go and push a girl like tha-"

"And you don't touch me without my permission unless you want a case on your hands, ¿si?" he stated coldly, taking a step towards her.

[Yes?]

She couldn't help but flinch and retreat slightly before attempting to cover it up with a scoff. Even though she didn't necessarily deserve my pity, I still felt sorry for her being humiliated in front of her friends and the girls leaving the school building. But that sympathy soon vanished once she laid eyes on me, making me clutch my school bag tighter.

"What the fuck are you looking at?" she spat venomously. Despite her words, I found my eyes being drawn to the man towering over her.

Our gazes locked.

In the world of monochrome before me, his eyes stuck out like a pair of gems. Bright and hopeful. Cunning yet longing. His dark hair was slicked back but a few strands slipped over his eyes, daring to graze his fair and flawless skin. He looked different - or perhaps he looked more like himself. The haunting monster from that dark and dangerous night had long disappeared, leaving the beautiful Synn dressed in black before me. A part of my soul quivered.

I had the sudden urge to approach him but my nerves got the better of me and I inched away from the scene, squeezing the strap of my bag.

Before I could turn from them both, Synn was walking towards me: past the girls ogling him at the gate; past Blessing, whose face was still red with rage; past my best friend now approaching the bus stop. He stopped in front of me.

I stared up at him as his tongue darted out to wet his lips, almost out of nervousness.

Tongue piercing.

"Thea," he said.

His warm, baritone voice pulsed through me.

"Synn," I whispered as my cheeks grew warm. "Wh-Why are you here?"

His gaze was so intense, I could hardly hold it. I couldn't believe he was here, in front of my school on a day like this. He opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by a whip of poison from behind him.