xx. sweet on the tongue

Cinnamon Girl - Lana Del Ray

Lil note: Please do leave a comment because you guys might not realise it but I read each and every one you write, and I might not reply to every one but EVERY comment puts a tiny smile on my face and I love you for it 💖

THEA'S POV:

Each letter was sweet, full of the sugar of my heart and the brightness of my mouth and the comforting roll of my tongue.

But each letter fell short.

"I think I li-"

Bzz. Bzz. Bzz.

Both our gazes snapped to the phone on the kitchen island. Words glowed on the dark screen, a name beginning with E which I couldn't seem to register for my mouth was now full of lemons.

Synn's brows furrowed in mild indignation and he reached for his phone. I went cold all over. "Perdóname, preciosa, one moment," he said and swiped, bringing the phone to his ear. Leaning back in the chair, his eyes met mine but I instantly looked away. He paused, then spoke. "¿Qué pasa, Emilio? Dije que no quería que me molestaran."

[Forgive me, precious.]

[What's going on, Emilio? I said I didn't want to be disturbed.]

I threaded a hand through my hair and turned my head, eyes widening whilst containing a scream. What on earth? What on earth, what on earth, what on earth? What was I doing? Was I crazy? Did I take a psychosis-inducing pill this morning? The interruption was like ice water; it poured down my back, drenched my hair, and left me in the cold of reality and heat of embarrassment. I couldn't believe I was about to confess to Synn! I'd never even liked a guy before and now I was taking things into my own hands, acting like I was a professional?

No, Thea! Never do that again!

Running a clammy hand down my face, I cleared my throat and looked back at the man beside me. His brows were still creased, but it didn't look like he was terribly concentrated on his phone call; he was staring right at me. His authoritative voice permeated through the penthouse, though it was his churning ocean eyes that pierced right through me. I smiled embarrassedly and looked down at my plate, awkwardly poking one of the slivers of strawberry.

Tension ballooned inside me the more he stared and the more Spanish slipped past his plump lips, and I subconsciously started to shake my leg. How was I supposed to approach the situation now?

Eventually, Synn lowered the phone. He set it on the island and rolled the ring encircling his thumb between his fingers.

I glanced at him nervously. "Everything okay?"

"It was nothing important," he rumbled and placed one elbow on the counter, scrunching his large hand into a fist. Searchingly, he stared through the thick of his dark locks - spheres of blue stained glass glimmering in the haze of black. "I interrupted you. You were going to tell me something, no?"

"Hm? Was I? I-I don't seem to recall..."

Synn continued to stare.

I cleared my throat and played with my sweaty fingers.

"Um, actually! I was gonna say I need to leave or Mama would be mad at me. You know how mums get," I laughed nervously and squeezed my fingers hard in my lap. "Would- Would that be okay?"

For another moment, his eyes didn't waver. My eyes, on the other hand, were two ships at sail, bobbing with every motion of the current inside me.

He cocked his head to the side. "Are you telling the truth, Thea?"