White knight, black christmas

"I'll never harm him again," Dan told her, Harry sighing with contentment as Hermione's hands did their job again, "Either of you; I'm sorry Princess."

"Don't be Dad," Harry replied, looking towards Dan as their journey continued, "Let me be sorry for both of us."

"Of course son," Dan replied, Hermione growing happier by the second at this family moment, her eyes catching sight of Emma as she drove them home.

She, like Hermione, was crying tears of joy…

Chapter 17: White Knight, Black Christmas

When the Grangers' car drove into their driveway, Harry now calm and comforted by the warm touch of his betrothed, the Holy Knight of Thunder sat up and, looking to Dan, heaved a sigh as he asked, "Dad, can we have a word before you go in?"

"Of course," Dan replied, seeing the determination and expression of remorse in Harry's eyes; turning to Emma, Dan shrugged as he replied, "You take Hermione inside dear; we won't be long."

As Hermione placed a light kiss on Harry's cheek, she warned him, 'Don't you dare try playing the hero again Harry Potter: I know you too well.'

'I'm not going to do that Kitten,' Harry replied, enjoying the warm touch of his girlfriend's lips against his cheek, 'I'm just going to clear the air: you go inside and see if the old dog's still there. If he is, tell him what's happened but then, for the love of God, don't let him come out here.'

Hermione replied to Harry's request with another light kiss, before she followed her mother and Tyler inside the house, Harry aware of the other Order members waiting for them near the door. Once the coast was clear, Harry moved into the front seat next to Dan where he could speak freely, the two of them seemingly silent for a moment before Harry shook his head and asked, "Did…did I disappoint you Dad?"

"No Harry," Dan replied, grateful that this young man still had the respect towards him to call him Dad; it showed that the blackness in him wasn't around. "I…I didn't mean to hurt you: I was just…just so angry: she's my little girl and I'd hate for anything to happen to her."

"I know you would," Harry replied, aware of a pair of eyes watching from the doorway; looking up, the Holy Knight smiled as he saw Sebastian observing their conversation, a look of confusion and hidden rage clear in his face. With a chuckle, Harry remarked, "I think Seba wants your head."

"He can have it," Dan answered, smiling with Harry as he commented, "I don't know why I did what I did: Harry, when I saw you, I was so happy and relieved that you were all right, but then you said those words and I felt angry…and I've never been angry, at least never to a child. I couldn't even fault my own little girl, so I don't know why…"

"I think I do," Harry replied, before Dan gasped as Harry revealed Excalibur, the blade's metal singing as its master held it before the elder Granger. Seemingly observing his reflection in the sword, Harry continued, "When Hermione was…taken from me, she said that it was like she couldn't control it, as if the reason for her being where the attack happened was due to what's known as a compulsion charm. Now," he looked to Dan, his silver eye glowing dimly as he spoke, "If I have your permission, Dad, I'd like to use my newfound powers to see whether or not you've been affected by these charms."

"Of course you have my permission Harry," Dan replied almost instantly, "Anything to clear the air between us: but before you do, I need to ask: why wouldn't Emma be affected by them?"

"Why else?" Harry retorted, "I call her Mum and she sees me as her son: that's a kind of bond that only my real Mother, Merlin rest her soul, could ever match. I highly doubt that kind of love and respect could be beaten no matter how powerful the spell was, especially when you consider how it is that I'm supposedly protected."