Return of the King

The tension in the air that evening was so thick that you could cut through it with a knife; all around the Great Hall, the members of Beauxbatons, Durmstrang and Hogwarts all watched and waited with baited breaths for the drawing of the champions, only a small band of them, otherwise known as the Holy Knights, actually more on edge because of what they knew to be coming.

Watching from a protected spot between Sebastian and, much to his surprise, Sirius, Harry leaned in close to the Commander before he whispered quietly, "Should Fleur get into the Tournament, I want you to assign her a member of the Order as a contact and training partner."

"Way ahead of you Harry," Sebastian replied, his own eyes locked on the spot where the Goblet of Fire was burning brightly in the centre of the room, "Tyler asked if he could and I said it was fine, especially when I also told him that Miss Tonks could be here to help: her Auror training could come in handy."

"He's got a point there Harry," Sirius agreed, not really meaning to eavesdrop, "Nym is one of the best Defence students I know; present company excluded," he added with a smirk, nodding to his godson, "She knows she has an open invitation thanks to you and a place to stay in the Wing; so I agree with Seba."

Harry just nodded in agreement as Headmistress McGonagall took the centre of the room, Madame Maxime and High Master Karkaroff either side of her; glancing around the room, McGonagall cleared her throat before she spoke, "And now that we are all settled; it is time for the Champions' Selections: once again I warn you all that, once your name emerges from the Goblet, there is no turning back. You may have a select amount of company for research and assistance, but under no circumstances must you think you can get out of this: once it's done, it's done."

"She always had a way with words," Sirius chuckled, watching as the three heads of the three schools placed their hands upon the Goblet, the shimmering blue flames that erupted from the top of the goblet now turning red. As everyone leaned forwards, Harry then felt Excalibur's magic react to his own and the power of the Goblet; moving his hand down to his sword, Harry caressed the pommel as if he were calming a beast.

Then the first name erupted from the inside: catching the parchment, Minerva observed the parchment before she exclaimed, "The champion for Durmstrang is…Viktor Krum!"

A loud cheer and several rounds of applause filled the room as the so-called Quidditch star made his way down to the three heads, shook their hands and moved off into a separate chamber; as he watched Krum depart, Harry then noticed something rather off: a certain ex-headmaster was watching the Goblet and, despite his freakishly long beard, Harry could actually swear that he was muttering under his breath.

'Mum,' Harry sent across the bond, 'Tell me: can you hear Dumbledore muttering from where you're standing? I think he's done something to the Goblet; no surprise really.'

'I can't hear him,' Lily returned, her own position next to Remus as she looked to where Dumbledore was standing, 'I'll keep an eye on him son: don't forget that we know what's coming, but if he's tried something, then I ask my little King's permission to tear him a new one.'

'Get in line,' Harry laughed, watching as the flames turned red once more, another parchment flying from within; as McGonagall caught it, she looked around once.

"The champion for Beauxbatons…is Fleur Delacour!" she announced, though Harry gave Sebastian a subtle nudge as if to say to go ahead with his plan; almost immediately, the leader of the Order of Pendragon left the hall while the Goblet let out another name: Harry crossed his fingers as he looked around, wondering who the unfortunate soul was, "The Hogwarts Champion is…Cedric Diggory!"

This time, if it was possible, there was a louder cheer as Cedric, a Hufflepuff seventh year with dark brown eyes and stuck up hair of the same colour, moved through towards the same room where Fleur and Krum had gone; it was as he passed Dumbledore, however that Harry saw it again: a low muttering that became silent as soon as Cedric walked past him.