cuddle buddies - fantasylandloser

Staying with the Cameron family was like paradise. There was non moldy food, an entire library that you had access to and no financial stress. Ward only asked a few things of you and they were all doable.

The only problem you'd had so far was Rafe. He hated having you and John B there and he made sure you knew it. And for some reason he paid extra special attention to making sure he gave you the most hell. Probably because John B was dating Sarah and you'd seen her go toe to toe with him before.

It's mostly small annoyances. He'll get in the shower before you get the chance and stay in there for an hour just to use up all the hot water. He would eat the yogurt that Rose would buy just for you, even though he didn't like it. Sometimes he'd even blast his speakers with that god awful shit he calls music. But even though all of this inconveniences you, you still liked living here better than John B's.

You had only Your mom comes and goes as she pleased and eventually the bills became too much for you and you got evicted. You hadn't seen her since and DCS had been on you and John B's case at the same time. So when Ward offered you sanctuary you jumped at the chance and you try to do everything humanly possible to keep him pleased.

It was one of ten thousand reasons Rafe hated you so much. Everytime he turned around his dad would be praising you for being such a hard worker, such a smart girl, so sweet, so kind, so caring. It never stopped. Ward had not offered Rafe a kind word in months, but had nothing but good things to say to you. And with that, you were a pogue. So Rafe was able to justify why he treated you the way he did for months.

Today Ward had decided to take the whole family fishing and he wanted to welcome you and John B, even though he already had. Wheezie was reading a book. Sarah and John B were nowhere to be found. Rose was already drinking even though it was seven in the morning. Rafe was on a chair with his eyes closed, you knew he wasn't sleeping though because every few minutes he would open his eyes, glance at you like he was waiting for something and then close them back. You knew Ward would be coming out in a few minutes and you wanted to look useful so you got up to grab the bait. Almost as soon as you lifted the heavy cooler, Ward appeared.

"Rafe!" He exclaimed. "What're you doing, you see a girl lifting heavy stuff, you pick it up for her." He threw his arms out gesturing to you. "I mean what do you do all that working out for? For show." Ward scoffed, muttering "Jesus" under his breath.

You see Rafe's face visibly darken from being reprimanded. As he huffs out a sorry to his dad that he definitely didn't look like he meant, as he got up to help you. He easily snatched the heavy cooler from you. "Try not to do that all day." Rafe told you, his tone low. And even though you feel bad that you got him yelled at, you can't help but return the attitude.

"Do what?" You ask, your head jerking back at his tone. Rafe rolled his eyes like you knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Pick up heavy shit when you see my dad coming. I don't care what you're trying to prove, but you're getting in my way." He tells you, his tone condescending. "The helpless act doesn't work for pogue girls." Rafe finishes, his attitude more prominent than before. You scoff at his audacity ready to go in on him, walking behind his muscular figure as he moves the bait.

"First of all, nobody is trying to be helpless. Second of all, if you weren't always sitting on your ass then maybe he wouldn't feel like he needed to say that to you." You clapback, fully aware that he probably wasn't going to let that slide.

You see the wild look in his eye when he turns to look at you, it makes you nervous because sometimes Rafe could truly be mean. Luckily for you, Ward had called him and he had walked away.