The Camerons' Family Vacation - acatwriteshere

"I'm not giving you my coat, baby."

Rafe was determined to stand his ground. He was not to succumb to your pitiful gaze and your pouting lips. Not this time. No matter how much he wanted, no matter how pretty you looked with snowflakes in your hair and doe eyes pleading with him to do your bidding.

When he asked you to come with his family for their annual vacation in Aspen, he told you to pack warm clothes. He told you.

He knew you got cold even in early summer when all the other girls on the island were donning their prettiest swimsuits and the boys were shedding the preppy shirts their fathers no doubt made them wear. And it wasn't like he didn't do the same every year. But not you. No, you were coming over for your dates and hangouts instead of waiting for him to pick you up, just so you could rummage through his wardrobe and steal his favorite sweater. You always looked ridiculously cute with your attire of shorts that barely peaked from beneath the fabric and his green sweater with sleeves that hung way past your fingertips.

It was his favorite sweater because you were his favorite girl. Not that he'd ever tell you that. Not with the way Topper and Kelce were constantly teasing him for being a simp and the way you were laughing with them, teasing him. Those moments always put a smile on his face - you and his best friends.

Which leads him to today. Rafe always brought his best friends with him if only to make being with his family more bearable. Always. But somewhere between last year's summer when he started talking to you after some asshole had made you cry and this winter, already a little over a year in a relationship with you, he had decided that if Kelce and Top made Ward's constant biting remarks and offensive comments tolerable, you'd make all his days pleasant. It was the only possible deduction because since he started spending time with you, everything seemed better. Brighter. More meaningful.

There was this other thing, too. His family loved you. He was a little jealous at times even, not that you'd ever catch him saying that. Not of you, but of them. Sarah was constantly coming to his room when you were over, asking to go grab a coffee or go hand wit her and her pogue friends (not that Rafe would ever let you come close to those dirty pogues). Wheezie had made you her designated play date partner. Even Rose would invite you to go shopping with her. And all of that meant less time for Rafe to spend with you, basking in your presence. Less time of your gentle voice lulling him, of your bright smile litting up his day. Less time to spend with his favorite, delicate flower. Oh, but the worst of them all was Ward.

The first time you came over to Tannyhill, his father had thought you were just a friend of Sarah. And just like with any of her friends, he went beyond himself to make a good impression. He asked you if you wanted anything if you were comfortable, and how was your family doing - not that he even knew who they were. Once he said that Sarah wasn't home yet, you seemed to realize that he didn't know you were here to see his son. When you stammered that you just wanted to know where Rafe was, you could see how his smile dropped a little. And even though he remained polite, there was this newfound coldness toward you. His smile was a little tighter, his questions fewer. And soon after that he just upped and left the room without even saying goodbye as if you were a piece of trash a loved kid brought in - disgusting, but unerasable.

That same evening, Rafe had gotten the shouting down of his life about "that gold-digging girl" that was with him only because of the Cameron's fortune. Because in his father's mind, no one would choose to be with Rafe for anything but the money.

After that, Rafe resolved himself to his father never approving of you. And while if this was something new, if you hadn't been dating for a quarter of a year already, he might have dumped you just to appease his dad, now he just knew that what he had with you was far more important than his father's expectations of him. So in no certain terms, he told Ward to fuck off.