So Gorgeous It Actually Hurts - folkloreslovechild

Seven.

It's the scraped knees and bruises age, popsicle-sticky fingers, monkey bar calluses and sneaker toe blisters. It's the messy hair age, the bike riding age, the sugar-high at your first sleepover, the whispered secrets and pinky-promises under blankets age.

For you, it's the age that summer changes forever.

When you're seven years old, your father announces that he's bought a beach house on the Outer Banks.

At the heart of an island, Kildare, with a funny sounding name and tonnes of roaming space, it's big with a bigger balcony and a view of the sea, waves that crest and foam, seagulls with hungry beaks.

To seven-year-old you, the place has everything. Sunny weather, a shortcut to the beach, an ice-cream truck that circulates regularly. Hopscotch on the side-walk and a neighbourhood with kids your age, some freckled, some loud, one that you hate.

Seven is the age that you meet Rafe Cameron.

He's a playground bully with blue eyes and overgrown hair, his makeshift throne at the very top of the jungle gym.

Back then, he doesn't have as many inches on you as he does now, but Rafe Cameron is still bigger and older than you, the new girl.

When you tug on a bit of jungle gym rope and cause him to teeter, you don't mean anything by it. You're just trying to get his attention so you can climb up the throngs too, enjoy the ten-foot-high view alongside him.

He scowls down at you, all narrowed eyes and dangling limbs.

"Who're you?" He accuses, not asks.

"Hi," you greet brightly, pulling on the rope again. "I'm Y/n. Can I come up too?"

His features remain the same, hard and defensive, a nine-year-old that hasn't learnt how to share. "You're new," he states plainly.

"Yeah!" You agree, nodding enthusiastically. "What's your name?"

Rafe doesn't answer right away. Instead, he braces his knees and jumps down, landing just short of your brand new sneakers. A cloud of dirt settles on the white tips.

"You can't go up there," he instructs. "Ever. It's my spot."

You frown. "Says who?"

"Says me," Rafe answers firmly, folding his arms across his chest.

"And who are you?" You ask, folding yours in tandem.

"Rafe," he says. His scowl hasn't left his face yet, only deepening when your lips pull down and tighten. It's a frowning contest of will, and Rafe's never one to back down from a fight.

Neither are you, as he'll soon come to realise. The only boy his age that'll confidently jump the ten feet without a scratch, he's fairly used to wearing his so-called spot like a bravery badge. There's no way he's going to give it up just like that, especially not to a girl who's shorter than him, smaller with pigtails and frill-hem socks.

Even if she has pretty eyes.

"Well, Rafe," you throw back, straightening to your full height, scowling some more. Intimidation tactics that are useless on she-has-pretty-eyes boy. "You're not the boss of me."

"Yes, I am," Rafe insists, crossing his arms tighter. "I live here. You don't."

"Yes, I do," you argue, pointing to a walk-way in the distance. "Through there. I do."

Rafe turns to where you're pointing, his bully scowl deepening. "You're lying."

"No I'm not."

"Are so."