1.25

Fridays had never been so bright in Redmond High School. Everyone was wearing green, hair was green, faces had green on them, and green bandanas were wrapped around their arms. It was like someone had thrown up in the hallway and told everyone not to clean it up because it was festive. Well, vomit is not festive, but the simile was nice.

The only ones in black were the cheerleaders and football players. We walked through the vomit as if we were mops. People were moving for us and cheering at the football players whenever they could. I hadn't heard one joke about the team or the squad all morning. It was probably the best feeling in the world.

But I knew that my head needed to leave the clouds if I wanted to get anything done. I was sat down on the couch, staring at the skeleton and waiting for my hand to start moving. The basic framework was finally finished. All I needed to do now was revise and add in what was missing.

Maybe my head was so far in the clouds because George and Bonnie were sitting together and talking animatedly about how they hoped to game would fair tonight. And Harry was sitting in the patio chair, sketching and looking up at me every so often. I wasn't sure if he was trying to make sure I was okay or what. All I knew was that it was bothering me.

Miss Vent crashed down beside me and placed a note on top of my book. "I want you to draw something like this. Take a break from this project, okay?"

I looked at all of the requirements and then at her. This list was asinine and too descriptive. What would I be able to do with such specific instructions?

Nothing.

I'd be able to do literally nothing.

"Who's asking for it?" I asked.

Miss Vent smiled and shrugged her shoulders as if it was secret that she'd never want to tell. I rolled my eyes as she left me sitting alone once again. My hands worked to find an open page in my book. Once there was one found, my hands went to work on a rough outline of a girl so sad you could feel it. The rough outline was easy because there were many people that I'd drawn at this angle. It was the broken butterfly that I found hard.

"All cheerleaders must report to the gym at this time." I paused mid-stroke and rolled my eyes at the intercom. I shoved the note in the sketchbook as a bookmark before moving to put my things away. Without so much as a goodbye, I headed off to the gym with my bag on my back and a glare on my face.

We weren't supposed to meet until the end of seventh hour. It wasn't going to take a whole class period for us to go over the dance. Everyone knew it really well and there hadn't been any faults Wednesday night at practice.

When I walked in, everyone was stretching and chatting with their friends. I walked over and dropped my bag in the bleachers and turned to find Angelina. She would know what was going on because apparently this co-captain didn't.

I stopped by her and began stretching, "What's going on?"

"Shelby wanted us here for another practice because a recruit is coming," Angelina grumbled at the floor.

I nodded and switched arm stretches.

"Wait, the recruit will be at the pep rally?" I asked, frowning down at her crunched up figure.

"Sounds stupid, huh? But I met him; he's a real nice guy."

Nodding, I quietly finished stretching. Once I felt limber enough, I found my base ground and asked for a simple lift to get all of them warmed up for that. The staircase up was one of the best ever and I smiled. Maybe Nicky would get offered a scholarship for a college...hopefully she would.