1.30

I've always hated bus rides especially during football season because we had to ride with the team. During basketball season, we always got our own bus. It may be smaller but it was quieter and didn't smell like rotting rubber. No one complained too much about the situation during the changing season, but right now, if I heard Lea complain one more time, I was going to scream.

"You should have brought your earphones," Angelina said quietly without looking at me.

I sighed with a frown. Maybe Reece had his or Harry had a pair I could use. At this point, I wasn't going to be too picky about who they came from as long as it could cancel out Lea's insistent whining.

I pulled my phone out of the side of my cheer bag and unlocked to see three unopened text message. One was from Dad, one from Reece, and the last one was from Harry. I thanked Dad from the good luck speech and then asked if he could get me some cheap headphones or something for the ride home. Reece asked me if I grabbed his water bottle which I quickly got from my bag and prepared to walk back. But, I had to read Harry's message first so that it didn't look like I was avoiding him.

Are you free after the game? I want to talk about your list. –H

I frowned at that and replied that I was going to be available before standing and taking Reece's water bottle back to him. He scooted over for me to sit down by him, so I calmly did. My knees went up to the back of the bus seat in front of me to get comfortable. Whenever we did this two years ago, he always wanted to talk for a while.

"How was school?" he asked, juggling the water bottle in his hands.

"It was school, Reece," I said, leaning my head back against the seat. "Are you nervous?"

Reece sighed and looked at me, "No, I'm...worried."

"For the game?"

"I heard Alabama State's recruiter is going to be at the game tonight," he replied.

I looked at him quickly, "You love Alabama."

"Oregon is going to be there tonight though too."

"Dad loves Oregon," I sighed in realization.

We sat in silence as everyone was chatting or looking over their playbooks. I frowned at the back of Harry's head since he was leaned over and looking at his phone. It wasn't his fault that I was distracting him from getting ready for the game, but I was still upset that he wasn't trying. He put his phone away and got out the book he'd stolen from me this morning.

"I don't know what to do, Eddie," he said quietly.

"The best offer gets you, you know that."

"I don't feel like a person this year. I feel like an item for sale."

I looked at Reece and frowned. He must have known that this is how scouts were going to treat him. He wasn't anything more than a body to put on the field to them, and even I knew that. Of course, it was sad, but that's what it was. That's how it would always be.

"I know it sucks, but you love the game," I said, looking down at his hands tightening around the water bottle.

"Thanks, Eddie."

I gave him a slight smile before getting up, "Anytime, Reece."

I walked back down the aisle, ruffling Harry's hair and moving Liam's leg from the walkway as I went. Angelina moved back over to the window so I could sit down. Once sitting, I looked at my phone.

Why do you read this book? –H

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.