9

The rest of the matches in the first selection went by fast with nothing eventful happening.

The games consisted of you and Ryusei scoring the most goals and standing under the spot light with Makoto occasionally coming in and having his own times to shine, but other than that, the whole set of matches were pretty boring. Though, there were a few matches where Ryusei got red carded and had to be benched, which was actually a great time for you to score and see how the other people on your team played, but most of them were incompetent.

Time flew by, and before you knew it, it was already time for second selection.

Your team had already under go all of the intense training that came with preparing for the next event, which wasn't a personal favourite but you didn't really have a choice.

-

As you walked into the middle area of the stratum, you were met with all of the faces from the teams that had made it, including the bonus players, though this was different. Instead of the room being filled with all the players from teams R - O, it was instead holding everyone who had passed the first selection, including those from the other 4 stratums. 

"Yeesh. There's a ton of people!" You complained, though even that was put into a cheery tone. This was another strange thing Ryusei and the rest of team R were able to note, though Ryusei already had an idea as to why your attitude did a 180, I mean it was the minimum amount of knowledge expected from him, taking into account that he's only known you for a few months.

What he was able to figure out was the more comfortable, or maybe it was the more excited you were, the more you stepped out of your shell and acted more care free and almost childish.

Walking behind you, Ryusei hovered around, staring down at everyone that was currently filling up the room, the rest of team R walking in behind the two of you, though keeping distance. Well everyone except for Makoto. I mean, he's already gotten punched in the face by Ryusei at least three times so far, but Makoto thought he was lucky. I mean in comparison to everyone else at least.

Conversations soon stared sounding through the room while you maintained some small talk with Ryusei yourself, but that was all interrupted when Ego began to talk, the large screen at the front of the room began glowing before a video the creepy, black haired man showed up.

"We'll now begin the second selection round. In the first selection, all of you fought to learn what it means to turn your '0' into a '1' as a striker. And on our brand new training fields, you'll be fighting to turn your '1' into '100'." Ego said as he rose his palm, a hologram of a 1 hovering over it before the symbol turned into a mini map of the second selection.

"The second selection round has 5 stages. Only those who clear a particular stage are able to level up and advance to the next one. Clearing the challenge in the first stage is your next objective, and those who are able to clear all five stages in the second selection will participate in a special training camp.. with top players from around the world that I've selected." Ego stated the stakes of this stage, and with the addition of being able to verse top players around the world was what broke the people in the room to let out mutters of astonishment. 

"That covers it. Warm up however you like. Once you've prepared yourself, enter the gate one at a time." 

"Ooh, one at a time, huh? Look's like we're gonna have to split up, Ryusei." You frowned childishly, though let out a laugh afterwards.

"I reckon it's gonna be some goal scoring exercise. Like, in a certain time limit you have to score 100 goals then you move one or something." You said, making an educated guess, to which Ryusei grinned, already knowing you were right. In fact, it was rarer for you to be wrong than right in situations like these, which only made Ryusei's interest in your grow bigger.

"The first stage is like an individual battle. Once you go in, you can't go back. Remember that if you don't advance to the second stage.. you won't see your rivals again. This goes without saying, but the difficulty of the second selection is drastically higher than the first. No matter how much you may have done up until now, it doesn't matter if you can't pass this. Those of you who have just ridden your teammates coattails had better prepare yourselves. The second selection will sort out the garbage. Only the true egoists will remain."

"Good luck." And with that, the screen immediately shut off.

More chatter spread across the room in question, but soon everyones attention drifted to the metal crates of soccer balls, more specifically the guy who was walking up to them.

The man grabbed one of the soccer balls with his hands before dropping it down to the ground and grazing it with his shoe, and before anyone could say anything, he did a big run up to the ball, raising his right leg then slamming it into the ball with full force. It was a clean kick, with a high and soft trajectory that bounced along the walls from the sheer power.

As soon as the ball landed on the floor, the guy immediately got to work by kicking it again, this time making the kick slower with a more curved and low trajectory. 

The ball rose into the air then bounced on the higher ends of the walls, the sound audible through out the whole, rather large room while gasps of fear and surprise arose from the crowd.

"Open up." He walked towards the gate, still dribbling the ball. "I'm finished stretching." And the gate immediately opened then closed just as fast as it let the man in, the screen above the door soon lighting up with the mans name and chibi on the screen as well as the words 'challenger'. 

"That's rinrin for you!" You cheered, "I didn't actually know he was here too. The more ya know!" 

"You know Rin Itoshi?!" Makoto muttered besides you.

"Duh. You don't?"

-

HII ALL!! WE ARE NEARLY (KINDA) AT 2K READS WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!! also, just a ps that these chapters are mostly not beta read since i write literally ALL of them at 12am or later, so yeah but hope you enjoyed, tysm for the support, i really appreciate all of the kind comments!!