Chapter 2 - A little friend

Thanks for reading, feel free to give me feedback! It's important 😊

Chapter 2 - A little friend

Time had become relative in this suffocating prison. Days flew by like shooting stars in the infinite cosmos. The prisoner had no way of knowing how much time she spent here alone at the bottom of her golden cage, rarely receiving a visit from a guard to bring her something to cool off. One day, then two, maybe three or four, the human lost track of time as the loneliness became more and more apparent in this isolated part of the evil castle. The suffocating heat didn't help to keep her lucid either, as shapes gradually began to invade the edges of her vision, blurring it. These extreme conditions were going to drive her crazy!

Slumped in her suspended cell, the young woman lazily let her arms fall through the bars to make imaginary drawings in the void above the fire. Although she found the lava very pretty to look at, it was getting boring to constantly see the same landscape. Grey, black, red, yellow... She missed the shimmering grass. She missed the little pink and white flowers of spring, as well as the beauty of the galaxy and its spectacular colors at any time of the day. From dawn to dusk, the sky was always breathtakingly harmonious. A color palette that knew no bounds, as well as that feeling of freedom cut short by her recent capture by the ill-tempered creature. What was so special about her that it titillated his interest? A question she could easily answer now that she had learned to understand her gift.

Her long, curly hair flowed between the thick bars and encircled her pretty, pale face as she continued her drawings with boredom. Unconsciously, lost in her thoughts, she began a song she had named the Luma among the stars. A song that expressed her sadness but also her hopes of one day seeing the wonderful world outside again, having only briefly glimpsed it. Slowly, the octaves of her voice rose in the abandoned underground prison. Each note was perfect, unique. A song she sang softly to accompany her tormented mind, unaware that she was attracting anyone's attention with her voice echoing up the spiral staircase. Expressing her deep melancholy through song, the red-haired girl watched as bubbles formed on the surface of the lava until she heard a small, high-pitched voice speak.

"Why are you singing if there's no one to listen to you?" Asked someone to her left.

The prisoner gasped and jumped to her feet when she saw the author of this unexpected question. It was a little Koopa, but it didn't have exactly the same characteristics as the ordinary turtles that populated this castle. A child, to be precise. Two small black eyes stared at her in confusion as he raised a bushy red eyebrow at the caged girl's lack of response. A ponytail stood on his round head and he wore two metal bracelets on his wrists, practically the same as his captor's, just without the silver tips. A scaly yellow body, two tiny horns, with a big spiny green carapace on its back. Indeed, he looked just like the creature that had abducted her! Grabbing the bars as she carefully watched the child at the edge of the precipice, she tilted her head as he scratched his chin in reflection.

"Is it because you're sad? Is that it? But this prison is great! We can put a whole bunch of prisoners in it!" He enthused with a snap of his fingers, followed by a mischievous grin. However, at the skeptical look of the human in the cage, the young turtle picked up a long hook on the floor and grabbed the bars to bring the cage to him on the ledge. Easily inserting his little claw into the lock, he managed to unlock it to open the cage door.

"Come with me! I'll show you my room." Indicated the latter delighted while making hasty gestures to the human to follow him to the spiral stairs to climb the steps two by two.

At first hesitant, the woman had no choice but to follow the hyperactive child. In any case, where could she go? She didn't even know where she was... Especially since she knew nothing about this world. So she lifted her dress, no longer as white as it once was to try and keep up with the much faster Koopa, who had already reached the top of the steps. There were many steps to the top! She was almost out of breath when they reached a corridor and the child rushed through another door without even glancing back. He was definitely in a hurry! Still following in his footsteps, the human suddenly found herself in a large, majestic hall with a long red carpet, paintings, candlesticks, stone statues and knights' armor carefully displayed. The ceiling was so high she couldn't see the end.