Chapter 9 - Complicity

Two Koopas guards dragged her down the gangway until she stood at the feet of Bowser himself. With tears streaming down her cheeks, Cinder didn't dare look up at him, but she could feel his evil presence surrounding her. Now kneeling before the King, the human was abruptly pulled back by the guards to force her to look the giant Koopa straight in the eye. She yelped in surprise but was suddenly trapped by his calculating gaze as a slow smile stretched the corners of his muzzle. The malevolent expression froze her. His big red eyebrows furrowed as he studied her in silence, Bowser raised a claw to place it under Cinder's chin to force her to stay in that position as he spoke again. His deep, threatening voice vibrated in every part of her.

"You really thought you could escape me?" He declared with an alarming calmness while pressing his claw under the throat of the terrorized woman nevertheless perfectly still to support her glance in his. He had to admit that she had guts to face him. He laughed softly as he looked at the ground with a shake of his head. Then he raised his red eyes to stare back at her with that same iconic evil look.

"You'll never leave this place..." Bowser raised his eyebrows after a chuckle before suddenly losing all trace of amusement to become very serious, the change frightening. The breath from his nostrils moved her red hair as he leaned towards her to growl low; "Cinder."

And with a howl, he raised his other clawed hand in the air to then bring it down on the human who closed her eyes tightly waiting for the blow to come.

"You got lost in thought again..."

Cinder blinked rapidly as she came back to the present thanks to the annoyed little voice of young Koopa who brought her out of her reverie. She was sitting cross-legged behind Junior facing the mirror on the floor, the comb halfway down her little red puff. Staring at herself in disbelief in the mirror's reflection, it took her a few seconds to remember where she was and what she was doing. This morning she had offered to do Junior's hair again after he had tangled it up. She had placed a pillow between his spiny carapace and her belly so she wouldn't risk getting inadvertently hurt by one of his little spikes. But her dream of last night kept haunting her... She kept thinking about it and replaying it in her mind until she didn't know what she was doing anymore, which had obviously alerted the grumpy little Koopa.

"Did you have a bad dream? I heard you screaming last night." He revealed as he watched Cinder's trapped face via the large mirror.

"A horrible nightmare." Affirmed the lady with a chuckle as she ran the comb through Bowser Jr's little hair again, her eyebrows furrowing at the pressure in her chest that wouldn't go away.

"How horrible? I often have the same nightmare. I dream that Toads are chasing me to force me to eat their disgusting mushrooms... Sometimes they grab me and throw me in a pot full of mushrooms! They all start laughing while putting salt and pepper on my head... And then I turn into a leek! I manage to escape most of the time, but then daddy doesn't recognize me anymore and chases me out of the kingdom because I'm a naughty leek..." Sadly explained the little turtle with the drooping chin, traumatized by this mushroom story.

"That's really awful... I don't know what Toads are, but they look very very mean. But I'm sure that even if you turned into a leek, your daddy wouldn't push you away. You mean too much to him." Tried to reassure Cinder with a small smile at Junior in the mirror, stopping her brushing for a moment when the Koopa looked at her in amazement.

"Pwah! Don't you know what a Toad is? They're all colorful and cute and happy all the time. It makes me want to throw up!" He groaned, sticking his tongue out in disgust, which made the human behind his back laugh. However he quickly picked up to finish his sentence with a grunt; "and dad hates leeks."