Chapter 8 - First step

Enjoy your reading!

Chapter 8 - First step

That night, Cinder could not sleep. Lying on her back in her little basket, she had stared at the ceiling for a long time, Junior's soft snores echoing in the room reassuring her that he was sleeping deeply. It was like a pressure in the middle of her chest that prevented her from relaxing and getting a good night's sleep. She didn't know where it was coming from, but as she gently ran her thumb over her pocket watch, she finally straightened up in bed to cross her arms. The room was dark, but the moon's rays that struggled through the dark clouds illuminated the wooden door in front of her in a halo of light. The castle was back in the air after only two hours of docking in the lands of Beanbean.

With an inaudible sigh, Cinder decided to get up and go to the kitchen to get a glass of fresh water. It was so hot in this place that she felt like she was going to melt! It was certainly not as stifling as the prison cage, but enough to allow her to sleep without her blanket. Slowly and stealthily, she slalomed between the toys that lined the floor to reach the door without waking up Bowser Junior sleeping soundly. Luckily he was a heavy sleeper, so she could easily open the door with a soft squeak and close it behind her. Waiting for a moment in front of the door to make sure there was no noise on the other side, Cinder noticed that the guards were not at their post. Strange. Alone in the large hallway lit by the candlesticks, she picked up the bottom of her white nightgown, which looked more like a rag, and crossed the hallway discreetly.

Her feet sank into the soft red carpet as she walked calmly toward the kitchen on the first floor. On tiptoe, she chose not to wear shoes to avoid being noticed as much as possible. She hoped she wouldn't run into anyone! Being Junior's full-time servant, she wasn't supposed to be walking around without his presence. Turning the corner to reach the large stairs where the light was brighter, the woman on the run suddenly stopped in her tracks when she heard sounds. It sounded more like plaintive moaning... As if someone was suffering. Intrigued by these moans of pain, Cinder dropped the bottom of her dress and walked towards the origin of the noise which was getting louder as she walked down the West wind corridor.

"Stop shaking and finish the job!" Grumbled a big voice belonging to the terrible King of the Koopas.

"But I am trying! I'm not good with this kind of thing..." Lamented a second voice, that of the blue-robed wizard named Kamek.

Cinder stopped in her tracks with a frown of disbelief. What was happening? Continuing her investigations despite her mind telling her to turn back, she walked along the wall when she saw that one of the doors on her right was wide open. On the floor, a source of light was twirling. A fire? She moved forward to the doorway to see that indeed a fire was burning and that the mighty Koopa was sitting in a green chair on the left side. Turned in profile, his massive arms were resting on the armrests of his seat while Kamek stood on a step to reach a nasty wound on his shoulder. The Magikoopa was struggling to heal the latter due to his fingers still aching from Bowser's recent outburst.

"Use your magic to heal that!" Annoyed the big turtle who was losing patience with Kamek's inability to do a simple healing that amounted to stitching up the wound. It was not however very complicated to use a needle and thread! He will be fist of frustration at his answer.

"I can teleport, transform objects into fearsome creatures, summon powerful attacks, but I don't know any healing spells. It's not my field." Kamek reported with a grimace as the King's expression became downright frightening. It was now only a matter of seconds before he was flying across the room for his incompetence... If only his stupid fingers weren't shaking so much! Frustrated with himself, the bespectacled magician held his breath to focus on his hands and the small needle, his tongue protruding from his muzzle.