Chapter 17 - Melancholy

Thank you for your feedback, here is the next chapter!

Chapter 17 - Melancholy

Sitting at his lava stone throne, Bowser ruminated. He had spent part of the night thinking about what Kamek had said, what he had unashamedly implied. He, in love with Cinder? Nonsense! He only loved Peach, his heart beat only for her... For her or for the power she could offer him? The King grunted at this last thought and then rested his cheek against his fist while his annoyed eyes stared at an invisible point. He had never really considered the question of where his feelings for this princess came from. In fact, he didn't even remember when he had started to feel for her... Or the true nature of those feelings. He had always kept in mind that he needed a wife by his side when he would rule the world and make the galaxy his empire. With the reunification of his kingdom with Peach's, he would automatically become the most powerful King of the eight worlds! His greatest childhood dream fostered by the Magikoopas.

But now the more he thought about it, the more doubts set in.

"Nionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!"

Bowser's face scrunched up in exasperation at his son who kept circling his throne with a paper airplane in his hands. The little turtle mimicked the sound of the white airplane as he circled around his stone chair, amusing himself by making it figures in the air as he imagined a story. Junior giggled every time the wings of his plane folded to remind him of a bird's flapping. Not even paying attention to his father who was sitting in the middle of his round, the young Koopa horned continued his game with several bursts of laughter. Cinder was not available to take care of him after agreeing to help Koopa Cook for the meal, so he found himself in the company of the King who was not in a very good mood that morning.

"Nionnnn! Oh no! A bird!" Squeaked Junior as he pretended to dodge an imaginary bird.

"Junior, you made my head spin..." Bowser grumbled and rubbed his forehead in irritation as his son began to circle his throne again, preventing him from thinking straight. He had a hard time hiding his annoyance since he was constantly in torment after last night's scene that wouldn't leave his mind. It was replaying over and over again... Laughing at him and his increasingly frustrating state of confusion. Fortunately thanks to his uncommon healing ability, he had no trace of his injury left.

"That's enough." He continued wearily, but his son did not hear him the same way.

"Cinder did it to me. I think he's so great and he's flying for real! Look!" Bowser Jr. marveled and threw the little white paper plane down the stairs to show his dad how well it flew. With the curve of his wings, he glided to the middle of the empty room.

"Yay!" He shouted in victory after bursting down the steps to retrieve his precious plane.

He didn't know it, but just saying his servant's name caused Bowser to become very emotional and unable to hide it any longer. Angry, King Koopa sank further into his seat and sighed when Junior came hopping back to continue his annoying airplane noises... Unaware of the threat, Junior continued to play innocently around the throne, his smile happily stretching the corners of his round muzzle. He wanted to go even faster! He imagined he was in the pilot's seat in his plane. However, his joy quickly vanished when his father stood up and snatched his paper plane from his hands just as he passed by again. Letting out a small "hey" of protest, Junior took two steps away as he met his angry gaze.

"I told you that was enough! Your noises annoy me more than anything else, and you're making me dizzy from circling around me like this! I don't care about your ridiculous paper plane!" Fulminated Bowser who, following his words, rolled the plane into a ball in his hands before throwing it into the lava.