Chapter 20 - Threat

Here's a chapter that's a little longer than the others, but you'll see that it's important for what follows.

I apologize in advance for its size. I had the choice of doing it in two chapters or leaving it whole, but I opted for the second option because I didn't feel like cutting into the action.

Enjoy!

Chapter 20 - Threat

"You know, there's still a whole bunch of places we haven't shown you. There's the waterfall behind the castle, the big harbor with all those boats, the beet field..." Luigi lost himself in a long monologue about all the places Cinder hadn't yet had the chance to see. Counting each one on his gloved fingers, he walked quietly beside her as they strolled over one of the bridges into the mushroom town.

"The world is so vast!" Cinder laughed as she raised her arms to all those colorful dwellings. With a broad smile, her heart clenched as her gaze wandered over the hills in the distance, wondering what other regions looked like.

"It's very vast, yes..." Luigi groaned beside her after straightening his green cap on his head. He had always been afraid, so anything unfamiliar scared the hell out of him.

That morning, the princess had suggested that Cinder take a stroll around the grounds to familiarize herself with her new home. To make her feel at ease, in her own words. Peach did everything in her power to make her feel at home, and Cinder had to admit that all these little attentions warmed her heart. She was very fond of the princess and admired her for her strength of character. She was always in a cheerful mood and never let herself be intimidated by anyone, not even the biggest bullies. After having eaten a most entertaining full breakfast with her and her friends, she went out for a walk around the town filled with those little mushroom men always smiling. They were so adorable! But to her great surprise, Mario's brother Luigi offered to accompany her after much hesitation.

And now, they were chatting like good friends as they strolled through this wonderful, bustling city at all hours of the day.

"What do you do when you join the world above? What's it like?" Cinder suddenly wondered as she leaned over the bridge railing to look down here at the street. She saw a purple Toad waving at her, a gesture she hastened to return with a smile.

"Oh well, it's a much duller world than this. There's no rainbow road, no talking mushroom man, no pink and white castle either. My brother and I fix things... For example, yesterday we unclogged a toilet! The customers were very grateful and we even got an extra bonus." Luigi began with a shy smile, quickly followed by a grimace of embarrassment when he realized what he'd just told her. Laughing awkwardly, he turned away to murmur softly.

"What are you talking about, Luigi! You're talking nonsense. You're talking about a clogged toilet!" He clapped his hand to his forehead at the ridiculousness of this situation. He always had to lose his temper at the worst of times! However, he returned to his interlocutor with a big, toothy grin.

"Hehe, I mean, we do all sorts of cool stuff up there! We're real little local celebrities now." He boasted as he puffed out his chest with his hands in fists at his hips.

"I see." Cinder raised her eyebrows, not sure she understood.

"Mario and I make a great team. But my brother is the braver one of us ... It's always been like that. I just follow." He admitted with a small shrug after he also moved closer to the railing. He didn't dare look down because he was afraid of heights!

"I'm sure you're as brave as he is." Cinder replied, winking at Luigi which triggered a blush to his cheeks.

"B-brave?! Uh yes, of course! I'm afraid of nothing, or almost nothing." he stammered. Embarrassed nonetheless puffed up in pride, he grabbed the tip of his moustache to smooth it between his fingers. This made Cinder laugh out loud. But this laughter quickly faded as the girl's face saddened again, her red hair brushing against her pale cheeks. Perplexed by this sudden change, Luigi leaned towards her with a concerned look.