xii.

The next day Danielle couldn't focus on her studies at all. She couldn't focus on her student council duties. She couldn't focus on anything. All she was thinking about was the fight she had with Eddie the previous day. She was feeling so bad about snapping at him like that but she felt like it was the only way to go about that. Gentle words wouldn't get to him. Dani thought that narrowly escaping being sent to juvie a few years ago was enough to bring some sense into him. Turns out it wasn't. But she couldn't just suddenly cut Eddie off just because she was mad at him. She wasn't that type of person. She already set up a whole plan of visiting him after school.

Eddie didn't really invite her over often. He lived in a trailer with his uncle and Danielle knew that Eddie just felt embarrassed of his living conditions compared to the ones that she had. They never really had that conversation but Dani just had a feeling that that was the case. Regardless she visited him a few times, she even met his dad when he was still around, but those visits were very rare. Dani never pushed him to invite her over either.

The first time she ever came over was when they were around seven years old and Eddie was living with his dad. They had a lot of fun and at that time Eddie didn't really seem to care about the very apparent difference between their quality of living, but after that one meeting he didn't invite her over for a really long while and a few years later Eddie confessed that his dad gave him a big scolding for inviting a "boujie asshole that was only going to bully him and spread rumours about their family". She came over for the second time only when Eddie's dad went to prison and his uncle became his legal guardian.

When the bell finally rang signalling the end of Danielle's classes for the day she nearly ran out of that classroom and when she was rushing out of the main entrance of the school, she bumped into Chrissy Cunningham, the cheerleader, they exchanged their apologies but Dani noticed the smell of marihuana coming from her and she in fact looked high out of her mind but she had more important things to do than worry about her. Normally she would probably tell her to go home before anyone catches her but she needed to rush to see Eddie.

The road to the trailer park wasn't that long, yet it was too far away for Eddie to bother coming to school everyday. She quickly reached the right trailer and knocked on the door. "What do you want? I'm not buying anything from you assholes." A deep grumpy voice could be heard from the inside but the doors opened a few seconds afterwards and Dani greeted uncle Wayne with a bright smile. The man was a little surprised but he gave her a small smile back while he smoked his cigarette. "Haven't seen you around here in a long while, princess." He laughed and gave Dani a warm hug. Uncle Wayne looked scary and some may even say he was creepy, but he always treated Dani right and took the best care he could of Eddie.

"Is Eddie home?" She asked and uncle Wayne nodded making his way out of the doorframe so that Dani could walk in. "You probably hear where he is."

That was true. The second she stepped inside the loud sound of Metallica could be heard coming from Eddie's room. She thanked uncle Wayne and went over to the room. She didn't bother knocking on the door as he wouldn't hear it over the music anyways and just immediately went in.

Eddie looked over at the door a little confused, maybe a bit upset and angry as well. "Hey Eddie." Danielle said and her voice cracked a little as she was visibly nervous. It's been such a long time since they fought. She had no clue how to handle that situation. "I'm sorry I snapped at you like that." She said making a few steps forward towards him and sat down on his bed. "I'm just really worried, I don't want you to get in trouble again." She added looking down at her hands that she was fidgeting with. "If you need help just tell me and I'll figure something out."

The last sentenced seemed to be the one that set Eddie off. At school he didn't get to say what he wanted to Danielle. She didn't let him defend himself and that hurt him. If she had just listened to him he wouldn't feel so upset. "What the hell do you know about my problems?" He said with clear hurt in his voice. "You say you'll help me out but you'll never understand how my life looks like and what I'm struggling with. Sure, you can sympathise but you'll never understand. You live a pretty life in your pretty house, your dad gives you money for anything you want and you never have to worry about anything. I don't have that. I will never have that. So why don't you just mind your own business and stop acting like my mother." He said with his voice raised.

Danielle was speechless. She never knew he felt that way. She understood where he was coming from but she couldn't help wanting to save him from going down the same path as his father. Her eyes were teary to the point that all she could see was a cloudy version of what was around her. "Eddie, I-"

"Leave." He said coldly and it caused Danielle's tears to start rolling down her cheeks one by one.

"Let me say someth-" Danielle started to talk but he cut her off again "I said leave!" He nearly screamed.

Danielle just stood up and walked out of the room. She ran down the short corridor barely avoiding bumping into uncle Wayne, who looked beyond confused by what he heard from the other room. When she was already outside and a few meters away from the trailer he just opened the door and shouted worriedly "Come back sometime, okay?"

a/n:
I know it's been a while since I posted but uni is absolutely exhausting, but I hope to be able to post something once in a while. Hope you enjoy this chapter!!