chapter 16

Luna

"Luna, I don't think what you're doing is right." Mariah exclaims and I roll my eyes, roaming through mom's drawers.

"She doesn't tell me anything, I need to know by myself. What's that police thing she was talking about?" yeah, I'm still not over that. It's now mid-November, and it's all I can think about.

"And you think it's better invading her privacy?" she comments and I sigh, partially agreeing with her, but when I open the last drawer, I find what I was looking for.

"Ha! There it is." I grab the journal and Mariah's eyes widen.

"Lu, that's bad, you shouldn't read this." I know. I know I shouldn't read it. But I need, I want to find out more about my dad.

I remember she said they started dating when she was 16, so...approximately 2019, yeah, 2019. There it is.

I begin reading but I don't find anything interesting, so I move to 2020. My phone begins ringing and I sigh, taking it off my pocket, only to see Damon calling.

"Hey." I answer and Mariah makes grimaces next to me, while she's trying to take the journal out of my hands, but I grip it hard.

"Hey babe, you coming over tonight, right?" he asks me and I smile, remembering our plans. Today, is Friday, and I'm going to his place. Then, we're leaving OBX for the weekend and go to New York. I can't believe I'm going somewhere else than OBX, and with Damon.

"Of course I am. I'll see you in an hour." I say and he murmurs a good, before we hang up. I would talk to him more, but I'm busy right now.

I turn my attention back to the journal. April 2020...

Fuck.

My eyes widen and Mariah looks at me confused, terrified even.

"What? What did you find?" I don't answer her, I just keep reading, some lines. Him leaving, him coming back after 2 years, him going to jail for ten years, my mom by his side until she left for college. Until he told her to forget about him. But she didn't.

For the murder of his abusive father.

"My dad... had killed someone." I murmur and close the journal firmly, putting it back in place. Mariah gasps.

"That's the police mom was talking about." I carry on and sit down, dumbfounded, staring at the complete nothing.

"Shit, that's big." Mariah mutters beside me and I nod, getting up suddenly. I'll talk to my mom later. Monday, actually, since that's when I'll see her.

Mariah caresses my back and I thank her for being here. It means a lot. We talk for everything but what I found out, and after some time ,we go to my bedroom, I grab my suitcase, and we leave together, her leaving me at Damon's with her car, before she leaves too.

"You okay?" Damon asks me as soon as we get inside his bedroom, after I waved to his parents, and I plop myself down at his bed, him joining me almost immediately, wrapping his hand around my waist, bringing me almost on top of him.

I don't know if it's visible in my face, probably it is, that's why he's asking me, but I can't think of anything else but what I found out earlier.

"Yeah, well no..but I'll be fine." I answer and meet his gaze, before dropping my head to his chest.

"Wanna talk about it?" I shake my head in denial and he sighs, respecting my answer, when I feel him give a peck to my head, and caress my lower back. I haven't even confronted my mother about it.

I love how he's not pressuring me to tell him anything, so I find myself relaxing in his embrace, while he's caressing my back, and sleep.