chapter 26

Luna

We all call the night quits after a few hours, the mood obviously not lighted up at all. I didn't speak much the rest of the night. My friends drop me home and as soon as I get in, I let my body fall down. I want to cry, but it seems my eyes can't produce tears anymore. At least not for now.

"Moonshine? Is everything alright? Why are you down at the floor?" she asks me, coming closer my way from the hallway, and I look up to her.

"He left, mom." my voice breaks as I tell her and I find myself breaking into tears again too.

"Shh, come here." she sits down beside me and takes me in her embrace. I immediately calm down, but I still am crying. Just lighter than before.

"I shouldn't be feeling like this. I broke up with him, just for him to go. I shouldn't cry. He's following his dreams." I exclaim and get up from her legs, wiping away some tears, when she cups my head with her hands, and caresses both my cheeks.

"Don't tell yourself how you should and how you shouldn't be feeling. It's okay to be sad, it's okay to miss him." she consults me and I sniff, making her kiss the tip of my nose.

"But don't miss anymore days at school, please." she lightens up the mood, kinda, and I giggle sadly immediately, and she chuckles back.

"Noted. I won't." she nods and kisses the top of my head, and lifts me off the floor with herself.

"But please don't go tomorrow. Your eyes are already starting to puff." we go to the bathroom and as soon as I lay eyes on myself, I gasp. Mom starts laughing.

"Let's get you ready for bed." she takes off my jacket and washes my face, as I'm feeling way too tired to do anything. Not physically. Emotionally. We go to my bedroom, and I put my pajamas on, and after she puts me under the covers, she wishes me goodnight, and leaves.

I sigh, and sleep too, after a lot while, thinking of Damon.

♡♡♡♡♡

2 months later...

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear moonshine, happy birthday to you." mom and Alex come inside the room as soon as I open my eyes.

They're holding a little cupcake with a candle on top. Mom knows I don't want anything extravagant, hell I don't even want to celebrate my birthday, but she insists. I don't know how she does it. She lost dad the same day I was born. It must be awful.

"Make a wish!!" Alex consults me and I smile softly at him, and make a wish, before blowing out the candle. May all my dreams come true. Cliché, I know.

"Happy birthday love." they both hug me and I hug them back, smiling ,actually I find myself faking it.

I hate my birthday, I do, but I know it's not healthy not to do anything. Once, I caught mom crying, before Alex was in the picture. But when she was with me, she pretended everything was alright.

"Get ready now, we have something for you." mom says and winks at me, and I look at her confused, but don't have time to protest, since they're out of my room quickly.

I remove the sheets from me and sit up on the bed, taking my phone in my hands. Messages already from my friends, and aunts and uncles. I sigh and start replying to them all, smiling a couple of times at their wishes. I leave my phone at the bed and go to the bathroom, brushing my teeth, and hair, and washing my face. Then come back to my bedroom.

I put on a pair of sweats and a tshirt, it's still March, mid-March, yet the weather already is beginning to brighten.

"Are you coming or what?" Alex yells from the living room and I tell him I'll be right there. When my phone rings. And my heart drops when I see the name.

Damon <3

I said I won't change the name, and I haven't yet.

I grab my phone quickly and stare at it. I haven't heard from him ever since he left, and my palms are already sweating.

Jesus, Luna, just answer the damn phone.

"Yes?" I say as soon as I pick up and my breath hitches when I hear his voice.

"Luna, hi." he says and I find myself blushing, falling to the bed.

"I didn't expect... I didn't expect your call." I exclaim and hear his heavy breathing.

"I know..I just, I wanted to wish you happy birthday. Plus, I wanted to hear your voice." he admits and my heart skips several beats. Yeah, you guessed it, I'm still not over him. I don't think I'll ever be, which sounds...big, but it's the truth.

"Oh." I only tell and he chuckles so soft, that I almost think I imagined it.

"Happy birthday Lu. Sweet 19. May all your dreams come true." he wishes me and my eyes widen a bit, but I find myself smiling and blushing more than before.

"Thank you Damon, it means a lot." I answer and sigh. "I know you don't like your birthday, but I couldn't bring myself to not wish you anything." he carries on, and I can tell that he's nervous by the tone of his voice. I think I'm going to die of a heart attack.

"You remembered, both things." I say and I can literally feel his scoff.

"Of course I remembered." he answers so fast and I bite my nails like a child excited.

"How's life there?" I ask him after a few seconds of silence and he sighs loudly, dramatically, causing me to giggle.

"Cold. Super cold. But it's nice. I've got used to it." he tells me and I'm happy for him, as much as I miss him.

"I actually have a flight in 2 hours." he sounds happy, well when he's talking about the job at least, and I smile. I ask him questions and he answers, and vice versa. We listen to each other, and I can't help but realize how much I've missed him.

"Moonshine are you coming out or what?" mom barges in the room. Shit, I completely forgot about what they wanted.

"Shit, I forgot..."

"Language!" she reprimands me and I roll my eyes, while I can hear Damon chuckling on the other line.

"It's not funny, stop." I tell him and mom looks at me confused. "It kind of is." he answers back to me and I sigh, staring at my mom.

"I...I have to go." I sit straight on the bed and I swear I can feel his disappointment. He can feel mine too.

"Right." he says.

"Thank you for calling. It really meant a lot." I murmur and he says it meant a lot to him too, and that it was nice hearing from me. We hang up shortly after, and I'm sad again.

"It was Damon, huh?" it's like she can see right through me. I simply nod and get up.

"What's the thing you want to give me?" she shakes her head like I reminded her what they wanted to give me. She smiles and takes my hand , guiding me to the living room.