The Shakespeare Code Part One

"But how do you travel in time? What makes it go?" Martha asked the Doctor, who was piloting the Tardis with some difficulties.

"Oh, let's take the fun and mystery out of everything. Martha, you don't want to know. It just does. Hold on tight." The Doctor said to her as he accelerated the speed.

"Do you even know?" Amanda asked him as she held on to the console for dear life. "It sure as hell doesn't seem like it." she sassed as she stabilized herself once again, becoming frustrated. 

The Doctor shot her a playful glare, that told her all she needed to know, before the Tardis came to a startling halt; causing Martha and Amanda to fall to the floor.

"Blimey. Do you have to pass a test to fly this thing?" Martha said as she got up from the floor. Amanda stayed on the floor for a second longer to wait for the pain to go away and stood up, rubbing her head.

"Yes, and I failed it. Now, make the most of it. I promised you one trip, and one trip only. Outside this door, brave new world." He said happily as he helped steady Amanda, who gripped his hand tightly.

"Where are we?" Amanda asked him, growing more and more excited with each passing second; her head pain quickly forgotten.

"Take a look. After you." He gestured, a fond smile appearing on her face as she let go of his hand and raced out the door. Martha laughed at her friend's eagerness and rushed out after her. Amanda froze as she took in the sights in front of her. She really was in the past! 

Martha looked around in amazement, trying to capture everything she spotted. "Oh, you are kidding me. You are so kidding me. Oh, my God, we did it. We travelled in time. Where are we?" she asked him before shaking her head. "No, sorry. I got to get used to this whole new language. When are we?" She asked the Doctor in wonder.

"Mind out." The Doctor said, pulling both girls closer to him as a man emptied his slop bucket from an upstairs window.

"Gardez l'eau!" the man's voice called out to them from above.

"Somewhere before the invention of the toilet. Sorry about that." The Doctor grimaced as he quickened his pace away from any balconies.

"Ew! Disgusting Sh-" Amanda said, with a disgusted look on her face.

"Language!" Martha said, interrupting the brunette before she could finish. Amanda just shot her and the Doctor a glare. She was going to force the Doctor to take them somewhere with better plumbing. 'One trip' be dammed.

"I've seen worse. I've worked the late night shift A+E. But are we safe? I mean, can we move around and stuff?" Martha asked the Doctor as Amanda stopped herself from exploring and getting a better look around due to her question.

The Doctor frowned at her question. "Of course we can. Why do you ask?" he asked her curiously.

"It's like in the films. You step on a butterfly, you change the future of the human race." Martha explained to him.

Amanda snorted. "I doubt you can do anything to fuck up the future Martha. If anything, Doc right here will probably stop us from doing anything bad." she said confidently. Martha still looked a bit worried, fearing that she would cause a butterfly effect to occur, but she was surprised that Amanda seemed to trust the Doctor so quickly.

"Tell you what then, don't step on any butterflies." the Doctor said to her. "What have butterflies ever done to you?" The Doctor asked her.

"What if, I don't know, what if I kill my grandfather?" Martha asked him in return with a worried look on her face.

"Is your grandfather even born yet?" Amanda asked her, joining the conversation.

"Are you planning to?" The Doctor asked Martha.