Family of Blood Part Two

"Stand to!" the headmaster ordered as the scarecrows hammered at the main gate. "At post!"

With that, all the boys and teachers took aim.

"Enemy approaching, sir." one of the boys warned.

"Steady. Find the biting point." the headmaster ordered as the scarecrows break in.

"F-" the headmaster was interrupted by a woman taking one of the guns from a student and firing straight at the scarecrows head. Once she emptied a round from the gun, she would take another gun from a student. Soon all the scarecrows were down, hay scattered around their unmoving bodies.

Everyone looked at the woman in astonishment before realizing who she was. John was the first to move over to the woman, who gave the gun back to the student she taken from.

"Jacqueline?" John whispered. "Love, what are you doing here?" he asked her softly, noticing the change in his beloved. Jacqueline turned to him and gave him a soft yet somewhat broken smile before returning back to face the field.

"Jacqueline!" Headmaster Rocastle moved closer to here, about to berate her for her actions before stopping once he met her eyes.

 Something had change in his adopted granddaughter, she seemed darker now. He felt as though he did not know the woman in front of him, though did he ever? He furrowed his eyes in confusion, when did he get a grandchild? He had no children of his own and he remembered running into Jacqueline at a store so many months ago and- he shook his head. "Well," he coughed, embarrassed at being afraid of a woman, "seems as though those menaces were weak considering a woman was able to defeat them." he said, trying to ignore the cold stare from Jacqueline. 

Headmaster Rocastle walks over to the scarecrows, crouching down to examine them.

"They're straw. Like he said, straw." he said, astonished by what he sees.

"Then no one's dead, sir? She killed no one?" Hutchinson questioned, still confused on how the headmaster's granddaughter knew how to handle a weapon, especially with that sort of accuracy.

"Stand to!" Head mastered ordered as Lucy came to the site. "You, child. Come out of the way. Come into the school. You don't know who's out there. It's the Cartwright girl, isn't it? Come here. Come to me." Headmaster tried coxing the child, beckoning here to come to him.

Martha runs out of the school in a hurry and her eyes widen at the sight.

"Mister Rocastle! Please, don't go near her." She insisted.

" You were told to be quiet." He reminded her harshly.

"Just listen to me. She's part of it. Matron, tell him." Martha pleaded to Joan.

"I think that. I don't know. I think you should stay back, Headmaster." Joan advised the man as Jacqueline stared down Lucy.

"Mister Smith." Martha turned to John, who was focusing on Jacqueline, noticing the changes to his love before turning to the headmaster.

"She was, she was with, with Baines in the village." he said before reaching out to grab Jacqueline's hand. She was quick to dodge it and move slightly away from the man, causing him to frown at her action.

"Mister Smith, I've seen many strange sights this night, but there is no cause on God's Earth that would allow me to see this child in the field of battle, sir. Come with me." he said harshly before facing the child.

"You're funny." Lucy giggled as she stared at the older man.

"That's right. Now take my hand." Rocastle said, reaching his hand out to her.