Gridlock Part Two

Authors Note: Hello! I do not own the song nor the cover. Please enjoy the chapter and expecting more this week! The song is Moonlight Serenade by Glenn Miller and the cover is by Thea Danos.

Amanda slowly opened her eyes, adjusting to the sudden light and sway of the vehicle she was in. She clutched her head, there was a sort of swelling in her brain that reminded her of a balloon getting inflated. She felt as though there was a buildup of sorts and she actually believed that her head was going to explode until the pressure was magically gone, it was like the pressure had spread out throughout her body. She looked over and saw Martha was also waking up. Martha quickly looked around the area and shush the brunette, preventing her from saying anything. Martha points at the gun that was left near them and motioned over for Amanda to grab it. Amanda quietly crawled over to the gun and noticed a knife underneath the seat of the woman. She quickly grabbed it and slid it towards Martha, who quickly took it.

"Yeah. The view from the windows. You can see all the way out to the flatlands. Clear blue sky. They say the air smells like apple grass. Can you imagine?" The woman asked her partner excitedly.

"The houses are made of wood. There are jobs going in the foundries. Everyone says so." The man answered, watching how happy his wife was.

Amanda took the opportunity to point the gun at the woman while Martha positioned the knife close to the man's neck.

"Take us back. Whoever you are, just take us back to our friend. That's all I want. I won't cause any trouble. Just take us back." Martha demanded as Amanda fiddled with the trigger of the gun. She did not want to use it and probably wouldn't, but they needed to get back to the Doctor; she did not know what she agreed to, but her head was starting to burn, almost as though a fire was suddenly lit in her head. She needed him right now and the couple was in their way. 

"I'm sorry. That's not a real gun." The woman said gently to the brunette, who held the gun steady. Amanda just stared at the woman as if she didn't even acknowledge her and what she had said to her.

"Even if it doesn't shoot, it doesn't mean I still can't hurt you with it." Amanda said calmly. "There's so many things I can still do to you and your husband, if you take us back, you'll be lucky to never find out." she told the woman, lowly enough that no one else heard, looking deep into her eyes with a cold expression on her face. The woman shook with fear, trying to lean away from the brunette. Amanda felt as though someone else was in control, like she was just a host but as she glanced at the gun, it felt too familiar to her.  

"And that knife is just a prop as well, it's not sharp enough to cut anything." the man informed Martha, though keeping a steady eye on Amanda. There was a certain sharpness to her that made him want to grab his wife and pull her away from the woman. There was something inhuman in her eyes, something not right. He regretted taking her, they should have only taken the friend instead. 

"Yeah, well, you would say that." Martha accused him though she was clearly now nervous.

"Where do you get a gun from these days? I wouldn't even know how to fire." the woman said shakily as she tried to casually laugh as she created more distance between her and Amanda. Amanda rose an eyebrow at the woman, noticing her behavior, before putting the gun unto the floor.

"No, nor me." Amanda said quietly, though a part of her felt as though she was lying. She felt too comfortable holding a gun, almost as though it was second nature to her. She was almost disgusted with herself as she realized that she would have been comfortable killing her kidnappers as long as it meant her and Martha would get back to the Doctor. 

Martha saw the troubled expression on her friends face and pulled the knife away before placing a hand on Amanda's shoulder. Amanda seemed to relax physically but she was still tormented in her mind.