The Sounds of Drums Part Two

<The Doctor, Martha and Jack>

"But he's got the Tardis. Maybe the Master went back in time and has been living here for decades." Jack said, giving the Doctor and Martha a cup of tea. It was one of the only things he could do that took his mind off his daughter. 

The Doctor shook his head. "No." he told him as he took a sip from his mug. 

"Why not? Worked for me." He asked the Doctor.

"When he was stealing the Tardis, the only thing I could do was fuse the coordinates. I locked them permanently. He can only travel between the year one hundred trillion and the last place the Tardis landed. Which is right here, right now." The Doctor informed his two companions.

"Yeah, but a little leeway?" Jack asked him, giving him a look.

The Doctor thought for a moment. "Well, eighteen months, tops. The most he could have been here is eighteen months. So how has he managed all this? The Master was always sort of hypnotic, but this is on a massive scale." he said to them. 

"I was going to vote for him." Martha revealed to the two men, shocking them.

"Really?" the Doctor asked, surprised.

Martha shrugged. "Well, Amanda always spoke highly of him and how much good he would bring to us, so I started to trust him. I liked him." She told them. "I started noticing his flyers and his ads once Amanda started telling me about him. They would appear on the tabloids together too." she told them as she remembered all of the headlines questioning their relationship. 

"Me too." Jack said to them.

"Why do you say that? What was his policy? What did he stand for?" the Doctor questioned them, his eyes furrowed.

"I don't know. He always sounded good." She said absentmindedly. She began tapping to the familiar rhythm of the homeless man, using the mug. "Like you could trust him. Just nice. He spoke about. I can't really remember, but it was good. Just the sound of his voice. Plus, Amanada used to do commercials for his candidacy, she would talk to low and seductive." she said in a trance. 

"What's that?" the Doctor asked, motioning to her tapping. Martha immediately stopped her actions at his sudden question. 

"What?" she asked, not understanding what's wrong.

"That. That tapping, that rhythm. What are you doing?" he questioned them. 

Martha shook her head as she tried to sort out her thoughts. "I don't know. It's nothing. It's just, I don't know." She frantically tried to explain as she sat her cup down on the table.

A fanfare blares out from the laptop and a pop up says Saxon Broadcast All Channels. The Doctor quickly runs to the tv and turns on the television. "Our lord and master is speaking to his kingdom."

"Britain, Britain, Britain." The Master began confidently. "What extraordinary times we've had. Just a few years ago, this world was so small. And then they came, out of the unknown, falling from the skies. You've seen it happen." He said as scenes from previous alien events showed on the screen. "Big Ben destroyed. A spaceship over London. All those ghosts and metal men. The Christmas star that came to kill. Time and time again, and the government told you nothing. Well, not me. Not Harold Saxon. Because my purpose here today is to tell you this. Citizens of Great Britain, I have been contacted. A message for humanity, from beyond the stars." he said, raising his arms up like a big welcome. 

"People of the Earth, we come in peace. We bring great gifts. We bring technology and wisdom and protection. And all we ask in return is your friendship." A clip of a female sphere said innocently.