The Sound of Drums Part One

Authors Note: Hi Everyone! I decided to end the book by mid-September as I recently got a job and is starting school in the last week of August. Thank you for all your support and I will be posting more chapters when I can! Please check out my other story Unforeseen Love, as I will be posting there in my free time as well. 

<Doctor, Martha and Jack>

A blue vortex appears, blowing the rubbish around, followed by the Doctor, Jack and Martha. Martha was quick to use the wall behind her for support while the Doctor put his hands on his knees, trying hard not to vomit. Jack shook his head, trying to shake off the pain and nausea that he had received from the travel.

"Oh, my head." Martha complained as she rubbed her head and steadied herself.

"Time travel without a capsule. That's a killer." The Doctor grimaced as he slowly straightened his back. The trio left the alley and walked along the street, taking quick glances at their surroundings.

"Still, at least we made it. Earth, 21st century by the looks of it. Talk about lucky." Jack said in relief but there was a clear undertone of worry when he thought about his daughter.

"That wasn't luck, that was me." The Doctor said sternly with a cold look on his face. He needed to know where Amanda and the Master were at and what his plans were with Amanda. He doubted that Amanda would willingly help the Master, but the Master was very powerful and unpredictable. 

"The moral is, if you're going to get stuck at the end of the universe, get stuck with an ex-Time Agent and his vortex manipulator." Jack told them as they sat down in a resting area on the street.

"But this Master bloke, he's got the Tardis. He could be anywhere in time and space. And he has Amanda captured as well." Martha said worryingly, wringing her hands as she looked around.

"No, he's here. Trust me." The Doctor told her, looking around the street with keen eyes.

"Who is he, anyway?" Martha asked them. "And that voice at the end, that wasn't the Professor." she said, the new voice was very familiar to her, she just couldn't remember where she heard it from. 

"If the Master's a Time Lord, then he must have regenerated." Jack told her.

This got Martha's full attention. "What does that mean?" Martha asked, remembering that it was mentioned when she was in the lab with Yana, Chantho and Amanda.

"It means he's changed his face, voice, body, everything. New man." Jack informed her as the Doctor was staring at a beggar, who was tapping a repetitive rhythm.

"Then how are we going to find him?" she asked them frustratedly.

"I'll know him the moment I see him. Time Lords always do." The Doctor said, looking away from the beggar.

"But hold on. If he could be anyone, we missed the election. But it can't be." Martha pointed out as they all slowly began to stand up from their seats. They look up to see a series of public television screens on lamp posts, broadcasting the news. They even noticed flyers and how some of the screens had Amanda's face on it. "Amanda's album. It's been released." Martha said, noticing the insanely positive reviews and ratings that was being shown on the screens. 

"Mister Saxon has returned from the Palace and is greeting the crowd inside Saxon Headquarters." A newsreader said as footage of the new Prime Minister walking down the stairs, hand in hand with a familiar girl with memorizing blue eyes. The couple waved and smiled at the press, happy expressions on their faces but if you were to look closely at the woman's eyes, you would be able to see how vacant they were.