Chapter 5

Tears sting the corner of my eyes as I walk with Taika through the jungle. I make no effort to hide my sorrow. My feet drag behind me with each step I take away from the hut. The leather pack of belongings on my back weighs heavily on my shoulders. As much as I wanted to convince myself I was prepared for this mission, I mourn longingly for the country that will soon become foreign to me and the family and friends I may never see again. Taika clearly senses this; he remains quiet while leading me through a part of the jungle I am unfamiliar with.

"We'll hike for about two hours," he says at last.

I wipe tears from my cheeks and make a noise confirming I've heard him. I am too sorrowful to find my own voice.

"Once we cross the border, it will be a short walk to the nearest rest stop and train station," Taika explains. "The train will take us the rest of the way."

"Okay," I say quietly.

During our hike, I glance around at the lush tropical trees and blooming plants of the Landiani Jungle. A few songbirds fly overhead, their sweet melodies bidding me farewell. While the hike into the jungle was oftentimes strenuous and nervewracking, I realize I'll somehow miss this part of my country as well. I take a few deep breaths as the tears dry and try to compose myself enough to be able to take in the last few sights of Landiani for the foreseeable future.

"While we're still out here, we should review your information one last time," Taika suggests. He pauses in his footsteps to reach into his pack and retrieve the forged paperwork that my mother neatly organized in a brown envelope.

"Okay," I agree.

Unlike my mother, Taika doesn't take this opportunity to quiz me. He merely begins flipping through the pages and and begins reading off of them.

"You were born and raised in Otakoro, although your parents both died when you were a toddler," Taika begins. "Your grandmother helped raise you until you were a teenager, which was when you enlisted as a maid in Magewell and served the Holland family, who were comprised of an elderly husband and wife of high ranking within the royal courts."

"But they're deceased now, correct?" I ask.

"Yes. Unlike some of the other names we've thrown in here concerning your past, the Hollands were real, but they had no children and have since passed," Taika confirms. "Since their death two years prior, you briefly returned to Otakoro."

"And then one day when you were traveling through I ran into you," I say, filling in the details for him after hours of memorization. "We chatted about my experience, and you mentioned that you thought I'd be a great fit in Esterpool, where your old friend Alba Kaur works."

"Precisely," Taika says. "You've memorized these details well."

"I think Mama would have my head if I didn't," I reply nervously.

"That just about sums up your past, although be sure to review the paperwork again to remember certain names," Taika says, flipping through the pages once more. "I doubt the maids you encounter there will have much understanding of Landiani, but I wouldn't share any highly personal details that could contradict your backstory."

"Okay," I agree.

Taika lets out a sigh. "Your mother is still concerned with your name choice."

I shrink at his words.

"I wanted to keep some portion of my real identity without endangering myself," I say.

"Yes, but Kiana is going by an entirely new name – Haukea," Taika says.

"Kiana is in a different position than me. She's under much more surveillance. Fe is different enough of a name to assure me anonymity but also remind me of my past life," I say. They were the same words I repeated to my mother when she screamed at me about the choice. When our bickering got us nowhere, it was Taika who somehow managed to convince her into letting the name remain for now.