Chapter 11

I wake early the next morning, just as the sun is beginning to rise. Today will be my first day dressing Princess Asteria, and while Alba made no threats to remove me, I know I must do a better than adequate job if I want to continue this special duty. I crawl down from my bed quietly, noticing Maria still sleeping soundly. I pull the curtain aside, watching the dark blue sky become painted with shades of orange and yellow. I turn the lamp on and dress quickly, now having perfected the proper way to put on my maid uniform. I can only hope the practice will be enough to assist Asteria with her gown. I gulp nervously just thinking of it. I imagine her outfits must have even more layers than my own, and I have no idea where to start.

In the kitchen, I snack on a fresh apple, knowing I will not have enough time to request a hot meal from the kitchen. I enjoy the silence; the other maids will not be up for a little while longer. I feel for the pocket in my keys then take off, ready to begin my newest duty as a maid. I attempt to walk confidently on the way to the princess's chambers, but it is difficult to hide my nerves in the way that my heart pounds and my hands tremble. If I mess up today, will the princess replace me with Josie? I almost wish Princess Asteria would have chosen an easier task for me, although I am not ungrateful for the opportunity presented to me.

I lighten my footsteps when I pass Alba's bedroom. I doubt she sleeps, but I do not want to draw attention to myself either. The last thing I would desire is for her to catch me on my way to Asteria's chambers and have her decide to observe over me and critique my work.

At Asteria's door, I suck in a deep breath and raist my fist to her door. I knock quietly, far too quiet to wake her if she slumbers, but thankfully, her familiar voice greets me on the other side.

"Come in," Asteria says.

I unlock the door and step inside. Under the glow of her lamplight, Asteria is seated on her couch in a long nightgown, stretching her arms with waking.

"Princess," I say, curtsying. "I was not quite sure if you were awake. I hope I came at an appropriate time. Were you waiting long?"

"No. Sometimes Josie does have to wake me, but I managed to wake earlier than normal today. Anyway, good morning, Fe. Did you sleep well?" she asks.

A strange question to ask, I think, but I nod. "And you?"

"Well enough," Asteria says, letting out a loud yawn. She rises from the couch, and my cheeks burn with embarrassment seeing in her so little clothing, but if I am to dress her each day, it will be something I must get used to.

"Let's head into the bedroom," Asteria says.

She leads me left into a larger room. An ornate canopy bed with white satin sheets sits against the middle of the back wall, almost beckoning me towards it with how comfortable it looks. I smile, wondering what it must be like to doze in such a cozy bed compared to the rickety bunkbed I sleep in each night. A window to the right allows morning streaks of sunlight into the room, and to the left are finely carved wooden dressers, no doubt carrying some of the princess's most expensive clothing pieces. Asteria leads me a comfortable spot near the window that hosts a velvet stool, a tall wardrobe, and a large mirror that hangs on the wall.

"Arabelle left my outfit pieces on the dresser last night," Asteria explains.

"Does she normally?" I wonder.

"It depends. Sometimes I do not want to think about what I want to wear in the morning. I knew that you would be dressing me this morning, so I wanted to make it easier for you," Asteria says.

"Thank you," I say. I turn toward the bed, figuring I should make it before assisting her, but I blink twice, realizing it is already made.

"Don't worry about the bed. I made it this morning since I had some time to spare," Asteria says.