Chapter 8

I slowly get used to the life of a maid in the following days – Alba give me my tasks in the morning, and either independently, or with the company of other maids, I work through the day. None of my chores afford me the opportunity to catch another glimpse of the princess, much to my dismay, and I know I cannot rely on Maria's kindness a second time. Instead, I follow instructions, work diligently, and pray that Alba will allow me to pass the probationary period as quickly as possible.

An exact week after beginning my maid duties at Esterpool, I arrive back to the maid's living quarters after the sun has set. Sweat clings onto the fabric of my gown, and my body aches from the physical labor of my chores. I think embarrassingly how bending and twisting has made me more sore than any sparring session with Kiana. I suppose that is why she is the one in Magewell, and not me.

When I return to my room, I am relieved to see that Maria has not yet returned, no doubt finishing her last chores of the day. I turn on the lamp to bring some brightness into the room and climb up the rickety ladder of the bunk bed. My body instantly collapses into the mattress, as hard and uncomfortable as it is. I cradle my legs to my body as exhaustion takes over, and I think how easy it would be to fall asleep right here, still in my maid uniform, before I've even had a chance to bathe for the evening.

Staring through the bars of my bed railing, I notice a sealed envelope on the dresser where I keep my belongings. I sit up and descend the ladder, retrieving the envelope from the dresser's surface. My stomach drops. The letter is addressed to me, and though the sender is an unfamiliar name – Elsie Holland – the handwriting is no doubt my mother's. I debate reading the contents of the letter the following morning when I am more alert, but I know I will be plagued by curiosity all night if I don't read its contents immediately. I exit my room, beginning to scour the living area for a letter opener. Zofia is seated on a nearby couch, sewing by the fireplace.

"Are you all right, Fe?" she asks when she sees me lingering around.

"Do we have a letter opener by chance?" I wonder.

"Oh. That's right. The mail came today. Maria placed a letter for you in your room."

I bite back my tongue to thank her for stating the obvious. "Yes. I've found the letter. Do we have an opener? I don't want to disrupt the contents," I say.

"Oh? A letter from your lover back home?" Zofia asks teasingly.

I roll my eyes, intent on tearing the room upside down if Zofia does not give me the answer I am looking for. Thankfully, she does not beat around the bush much longer.

"It's the third or second drawer on the right side of the kitchen," Zofia says at last. "Maria sometimes moves it around."

I nod and retrieve the opener in the place described. I think that perhaps Zofia does not despise me as much as I previously conceived given her honesty. However, I figure she most likely does not want me to linger in her company much longer, so I do not test the waters.

"Thank you," I say simply to her. With the letter in one hand and opener in the other, I make my way back to my room.

"I hope the letter is as romantic as you wished!" Zofia shouts. Her words echo down the hall, but I ignore them and quickly make my way to my room, hoping to read the letter in its entirety before Maria arrives home. My hands shake as I remove the letter from the envelope. I take a deep breath before slowly unfurling the piece of parchment, and my eyes scan the letter under the lamplight:

Dearest Fe,

How is Esterpool? I am still thrilled to know that you are serving Princess Asteria. The service you performed for my grandparents when they were still living was always above and beyond. I am sure they would be overjoyed to know that you are continuing your maid profession in such an important role.