Chapter 25

Just when I feel I have gotten used to my new role as head maid, in the days that follow, I become an accustomed to an even newer routine – loving Asteria in private. The bedroom I stole from Alba is often left vacant at night. Instead, I spend my nights sleeping in Asteria's chambers, where I hold her close throughout the night and wake each morning to her beautiful face. We often share slow and lingering kisses in the early morning hours before I dress her; then, we depart. I work hard at my maid duties during the day to shift any suspicion of our affection for each other, and Asteria finds ways to fill her time as well without my company. Although, in the quieter moments of my day, I like to sneak to see Asteria for a few more kisses before we both must return to our daily duties. This act of balancing my head maid duties with my affection for Asteria leaves me more exhausted than when I was actively spying for my mother. But for the time being, I am satisfied.

That is, until one morning, when Asteria sneaks into my room after we finish breakfast. As soon as the door to my room is shut, I find myself leaning against the bedroom wall while Asteria's hands thread through my hair and her lips violently collide with my own. Her lips move over mine effortlessly, and I cannot withhold the whimper that arises in my throat when her teeth just gently graze my bottom lip. I grasp onto her dress and pull her even closer to me, savoring her warmth, as we continue to explore each other's mouths.

Hearing footsteps down the hall, I immediately pull back, looking at Asteria in fear. Her eyes are dazed however, and she frowns at the loss of contact. She leans forward to kiss me again, but I pull back.

"Should we be doing this here?" I ask quietly.

"Probably not. But I—"

A knock echoes at my door, and I nearly squeal.

"Fe! Is the princess in there with you?" comes Alba on the other side of the door.

"Y-Yes," I stammer from within. I quickly remove my grasp aroud Asteria's waist and scramble towards the door, hoping neither my lips are swollen nor my cheeks are flushed. Asteria takes a few steps back from me, creating some distance between us where there was none only seconds ago.

When I open the door to reveal the princess standing beside me, Alba makes a perplexed face. "Princess? Why are you in Fe's room? I just came to fetch you in your chambers but found them empty."

I am quick to jump in. "It is not her fault. I needed her to help re-lace a part of my uniform that I did not tighten well enough this morning. She was the only one available to help in the moment," I say.

Lying to Alba is a skill I am learning to perfect, as this is not the first time she has almost caught us. In fact, it seems nearly every day I am escaping her attempts to reveal our affection towards each other. A part of me suspects, fears, that she has caught on, but judging by the way she nods at my excuse with no questions asked, I also have to wonder if she truly has fallen for my lies.

"You should know by know how to properly wear your uniform, Fe," Alba says.

"I know, ma'am. It was my mistake. The princess has her meeting the royal officials in a few minutes, right?"

"Yes. Are you ready, Princess?" Alba asks.

Asteria nods and begins to walk past me. As she does, however, her fingers just lightly grasp onto my elbow.

"I will need you to accompany me into the gardens later today," she says quietly.

"Whatever you need, Princess," I respond, curtsying towards her.

Asteria smiles warmly at me, then vanishes down the hall with Alba. I am left alone once more, still feeling the warmth of Asteria's lips on my own.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───