Chapter 28

In the morning, I return to Asteria's chambers to dress her. When I enter her bedroom, she is still fast asleep, resting peacefully. For a moment, I consider crawling back into her bed. There is a space large enough to accommodate me, and I admit it was difficult waking without her beside me this morning. However, I know Asteria has matters to attend to, what with the trip to Magewell approaching, so I decide to fulfill my duties as head maid and wake her instead. I reach my hand out, shaking her shoulder softly, until she begins to stir.

Asteria lets out quiet sounds of waking and stretches her limbs slowly. As she wakes, her eyes fall on mine.

"Good morning," I say. "Sorry to wake you."

Asteria yawns and sits up slowly. "It was about time I woke anyway. Where did you go, Fe? I woke in the middle of the night, and you were gone."

"Sorry to worry you. I was having trouble sleeping and didn't want to disturb you."

"Another nightmare?" Asteria asks, worry reflecting in her eyes.

I shake my head and take a seat on her bed. She crawls out from under the covers and sits next to me, our shoulders brushing against each other. I cannot share with Asteria the depth of my thoughts, as they would expose my true identity and my mission, but I can disguise them to a certain extent.

"I was worrying about the trip to Magewell," I admit.

"I would be lying if I said I weren't nervous, too. But why you, Fe? I figured that you would want to revisit your old home," Asteria says.

"I just worry about the king or prince discovering us," I say. A truth, though not exactly the real reason I am worried about the visit.

Asteria frowns. "We will have to be very careful, but I don't think it will be an issue. My father and brother do not pay much attention to me anymore. Still, I can always ask Alba if you are that concerned. I don't want to trouble you."

"No. I want to be there with you," I say firmly. Even if I hope to see Kiana while I am there too, truthfully I worry about Asteria being there on her own, even if Alba were to accompany her. I know that she needs me in this moment, and I owe it to her after all she did to nurse me back to health after the other maids attacked me.

"Thank you," Asteria says, kissing my cheek. "I'll speak to Alba today about the trip. She may not be happy I've revoked her invitation, but I'll take the blame."

"I can still step down—"

Asteria places her hand over my own and grips it. With the same certainty that I spoke with earlier, she says, "I want you with me. Otherwise I don't know how I will be able to bear this visit."

I nod, and after a brief morning kiss, I begin to ready Asteria for the day.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

As expected, Alba finds me in the afternoon. I am outside on the patio, hanging up laundry as the sun beats down on my shoulders. Hearing the patio door open behind me, I turn, expecting it to be one of the other maids, but my face drops to see Alba instead. While there is no visible displeasure on her face, she does not wear a smile either.

"Good afternoon," I say.

"Good afternoon, Fe. Is now a good time?" she asks.

I glance at the half-hung pile of laundry sitting in a woven basket next to me.

"I suppose so," I say. "I assume you would like to go somewhere more private?"

"No. This will do," Alba says.

I hang one last piece of clothing before turning to face Alba. I expect the long, usual lecture, but as I glance at her, I suddenly notice how tired she looks. There is weariness in her expression that I have not noticed before and clear bags under her eyes from a lack of sleep.