Chapter 9

I come to find out that my first task in serving Princess Asteria will be delivering her breakfast. Shortly after I return to the maid's quarters after dropping off my letter, Alba finds me to give me my own set of keys to the princess's quarters and my instructions for the day.

"Asteria will not be eating in the dining hall today. It will be your job to retrieve her breakfast from the kitchen and bring it to her," Alba says. She pauses before turning to leave. "Do not linger. The princess is not feeling well today."

I nod dutifully, though I am bothered by her strict instructions. How can I learn anything from Princess Asteria if I am barely allowed any contact with her in the first place? My mother will be angered if I continue progressing at such a slow pace.

I heed Alba's instructions for the time being and head to the kitchen, where I have mainly been serving over the past week during my probationary period. The chefs know me by name now, and while I have never struck up long conversations with them, they are at least more inviting than the maids I currently live with.

"Good morning," I say as I enter the busy kitchen. Judging by the slowness of their cooking, they must know already that Asteria will not be dining. "I've come to retrieve the Princess's breakfast," I announce to the head chef, a short and stout man with dark hair and a finely trimmed beard.

He nods and points for me to wait by the counter. I linger in place for a few moments, glancing out at the spacious dining hall. As someone who has set up the hall but never seen it being eaten in, I wonder what it must be like. Does Princess Asteria dine alone? Does Alba eat with her? How many courses are they served? My stomach rumbles at the thought. I only managed to get a few bites of breakfast in before being whisked away to my maid duties. What I would give for some fresh eggs and fish from the market in Tetoa this morning.

One of the chefs carefully slides a silver platter with a closed lid toward me a few minutes later. I thank him and pick up the platter carefully, terrified of spilling its contents. As this is my first time delivering a meal to the princess, I walk slowly up the stairs toward the upper floor. The constraining sleeves of my dress make it difficult to hold the platter as firmly as I desire. Thankfully, there is a cart near the top of the stairs that I can place the platter on to carry the princess's meal the rest of the way. I slowly set it down onto the cart and let out a sigh of relief.

Once I come to the large wooden doors blocking off the rest of the corridor, I finagle in my pockets for my keys, quickly locating the small brass key that Alba delivered to me earlier in the morning. The door creaks open slowly as I unlock it. I glance at the small key, thinking suddenly how much power this key holds. As long as I am careful, I can sneak into the princesss's part of the estate as often as I desire.

I walk down the hallway slowly, wondering if Alba is lingering nearby since her living quarters are in this part of the building. I hear and see no one however, and make my way to Asteria's bedchamber as instructed. When I arrive to her doors, I take a deep breath, knowing I must do everything I can to serve the princess well. Perhaps Alba has held power over me for this long, but it is the princess's opinion of me that will ultimately shape the trajectory of this mission.

I hold my fist to the door and lightly tap.

"Princess?" I ask.

"Come in," she responds.

I unlock the door slowly, finding Princess Asteria sprawled out on one of the velvet sofas, a book in her lap. She looks up as I roll the cart in.

"I am here to deliver your breakfast," I announce. "Where would you like me to set it?"

"Right here on the table is fine," she says, gesturing to a small sitting table directly across from her.

I maintain the quiet as I carefully set her breakfast down. Slowly, I pull the lid from the platter, revealing a plentiful breakfast spread that is far superior to what myself and the other maids are entitled to. There are cooked eggs, sliced ham, ripe fruit, and a freshly-baked pastry that smells divine. Asteria's eyes light up at the sight of food.